Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2010, 02:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dawn at the Beach
Lens: DA L 18-55 Camera: K-x Photo Location: Orange Beach, AL ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/10s Aperture: F11 

I've posted two photos I took from a recent trip to the beach. Which one is most preferred? Sun centered or using the rule of thirds? Any other advice and help as always is appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Images

10-14-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter

I take beach sunrise/sunset shots often and never could decide if the off-center Sun was better so I just shoot a little of both and pick whatever strikes me at PP time. I find the centered shot of yours more appealing for reasons I can not accurately define. Possible because the empty space to the right is less colorful, less interesting than that on the left.
10-14-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What saves the centered shot for me is the oblique angle of the rock seawall in the foreground. If alll angles were parallel, I would then definitely prefer the off-centered sun. Actually, I still may prefer that one a touch more anyway but both are nice.
10-15-2010, 07:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
I take beach sunrise/sunset shots often and never could decide if the off-center Sun was better so I just shoot a little of both and pick whatever strikes me at PP time. I find the centered shot of yours more appealing for reasons I can not accurately define. Possible because the empty space to the right is less colorful, less interesting than that on the left.
Thanks for looking and for the advice. I'll probably do the same and take both for now on and decide at PP. Much appreciated!

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
What saves the centered shot for me is the oblique angle of the rock seawall in the foreground. If alll angles were parallel, I would then definitely prefer the off-centered sun. Actually, I still may prefer that one a touch more anyway but both are nice.
Thanks for viewing and commenting. Interesting thought on the angles too, I hadn't considered that before. Thanks!

10-20-2010, 05:10 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi...
Love the first pic for the shape of the sun. Maybe you could try a longer focal length so that the title fits better.
Anyhow, nice shots!
10-20-2010, 08:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

They both work well for me...but I lean toward the 1st one. The sun is better in it and it does show why the rule of thirds is often right...but not always!

At any rate, nice shots! They meet my own rule...would they print and hang well in the proper setting? Yes, undoubtedly!
Best Regards!
10-20-2010, 08:20 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Definitely centered. The rays of light and reflections lead your eye to the sun, and the left side of the picture has a different feel than the right hand side, so there's a dynamic balance between them. The offset picture has all this movement on the right hand side, but then the left hand side doesn't have anything to balance it

10-21-2010, 09:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddieBBB Quote
Hi...
Love the first pic for the shape of the sun. Maybe you could try a longer focal length so that the title fits better.
Anyhow, nice shots!
I have a friend who was shooting that morning too from a different location and he used a longer focal length and got a totally different feel and perspective. I would definitely try that again next time. Thanks for looking and for the comments.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
They both work well for me...but I lean toward the 1st one. The sun is better in it and it does show why the rule of thirds is often right...but not always!

At any rate, nice shots! They meet my own rule...would they print and hang well in the proper setting? Yes, undoubtedly!
Best Regards!
Thanks for the comments. My coworkers say the walls in my office are too bare. Maybe I'll print one of these.

QuoteOriginally posted by extravagrant Quote
Definitely centered. The rays of light and reflections lead your eye to the sun, and the left side of the picture has a different feel than the right hand side, so there's a dynamic balance between them. The offset picture has all this movement on the right hand side, but then the left hand side doesn't have anything to balance it
Thank you for viewing and for that perspective. Gives me something else to consider when shooting. It's great getting so many ideas from the members of this forum.