Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ocean Long Exposure
Lens: 18-55mm AL Camera: K200 Photo Location: West Coast, South Africa ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: >6s Aperture: F22 

I've been fascinated by some of the beautiful long time exposures of waves on the coast appearing as a misty layer. So I tried it for the first time while off-road touring along a beautiful wild and remote part of the west coast of South Africa. Sunset and sea view was magnificent. Waves were big. A little commune of tents behind me was our "home" for that night... What a view..!

Reasonable happy with result, although first a bit dark and some camera movement on second. Any thoughts on improving technique?

On tripod, but not remote cable operated or mirror up. And I think long exposure noise reduction was turned off..

#1 - 40mm; 10s; f/32

#2 - 18mm; 30s; f/22 (not sure why I didn't use the Sigma 10-20 for this one)

Last edited by KevinR; 10-25-2010 at 01:19 PM.
10-23-2010, 04:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Both are very pretty! I like them both.
10-23-2010, 05:29 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
personally, i think the exposure needs to be longer still, the best ocean long exposure shots i've seen have been over a minute long.

also, no. 2 isn't very sharp on the left hand side

and no.1 is too dark. (nice colours tho)
10-23-2010, 05:50 PM   #4
Forum Member

Very nice Kevin..

10-24-2010, 02:16 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
Nice shots, Maybe you can increase the exposure by half a stop and repost them, they will look even better.
10-24-2010, 03:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Part of the problem is f-22, which causes diffusion: a lack of detail and softness throughout the scene. Try f-11, and if that doesn't give you long enough exposures to give the look you want, use an ND filter. Shoot the same scene in five or 10-minute intervals as the sun goes down and the light fades. Somewhere in there will be the best combination of ambiant light (for shutter speed) to match f-11 so you can retain foreground detail.
10-25-2010, 01:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses and ideas. Seems like I need to play around some more with timing, longer exposures, and ND filter. I should probably also get a cable remote to handle long exposures and other challenges

I might not get the same sunset in a while, but I live close enough to the coast to practice technique in the mean time.

Lifted the exposure on #1 a bit, but #2 has too much movement. I suspect in hindsight that the wind was strong enough to have had a bad effect on the tripod, so will have to keep a watch on this in future.

10-25-2010, 01:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Hey Kevin,
For years I tried to save money on tripods, but when I finally invested in a solid Manfrotto profesional tripod, I was amazed at the difference. I don't do a lot of long exposures, but if I did, I'd be sure to also attach a weight to further stabalize it.
A cable release is a good idea for long exposures, because you can lock it when in Bulb mode.
10-25-2010, 09:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Kruger Quote
Hey Kevin,
For years I tried to save money on tripods, but when I finally invested in a solid Manfrotto profesional tripod, I was amazed at the difference. I don't do a lot of long exposures, but if I did, I'd be sure to also attach a weight to further stabalize it.
A cable release is a good idea for long exposures, because you can lock it when in Bulb mode.
Hmmm...I think I smell a Christmas present coming on..

How would you attach extra weight to the tripod?
10-26-2010, 09:20 AM   #10

Photos: Gallery
maybe put some sandbags around the bottoms of the legs?

also, i know my k-x has a function that puts a 2 second timer (press the shutter, 2 seconds later the shutter is actuated).. does a k200, or whatever u use have that function?
if not im surely it has a 10 second timer.
would save you investing in a cable release

the timers prevent camera movement when u press the shutter button, just as a cable release would.

10-26-2010, 10:12 AM   #11
Veteran Member

All good tripods feature a hook centered just under the head. The idea is to hang a suspended weight on this hook with a rope or chain.
Using a 2 sec. delay is a good idea whenever using a tripod. Don't know about your camera, but with my K20D, it automatically disables SR, and with the delay (or a remote), you automatically get mirror-up function, so there is no chance of any vibration from mirror slap.
10-26-2010, 03:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KevinR Quote
Hmmm...I think I smell a Christmas present coming on..

How would you attach extra weight to the tripod?
I hang my camera bag from the center hook, under the elevator housing, that extra weight really helps.