Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2010, 07:20 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Early Morning Acadia NP
Lens: DA16-45 Camera: K-7 Photo Location: Maine ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1s Aperture: F16 

This was rejected by the PEG and I would love some feedback on how I could have improved it. They suggested cutting off the bottom 40% of the photo but I honestly don't see how that would help. Any other suggestions would be appreciated,
Thanks, Susan

Last edited by slowpez; 10-31-2010 at 08:21 AM.
10-25-2010, 08:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Susan... it's a lovely photo (and just having gotten back from Acadia myself it strikes a nerve) but the bottom half is just too cluttered. The bank and foliage on the lefthand side interrupts the reflection of the rightmost ridge and 4 boulders for the foreground just make my eye bounce aimlessly around the frame. I know this would have been hard but ideally this shot would have been taken from a spot approx right in the middle of the 4 main boulders and would have included just the currently centermost boulder and the smaller boulder in the reeds. This would have anchored your eye in the foreground, providing a clearly dominant foreground element from which to explore the rest of the photograph.

I for one do not believe that simply cropping off the bottom would have helped since then you would have still had portions of that pesky bank and stray bits of the other boulders which would have been, to me, even more distracting.

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 10-25-2010 at 08:08 AM.
10-25-2010, 08:05 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Another view

Mike, thanks so much for the help with the photo. You're right about Acadia being special.
Your comments were a lot more helpful to me. I do have another shot from a different perspective and wonder if this one is better?

Last edited by slowpez; 10-31-2010 at 08:20 AM.
10-26-2010, 06:22 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Bump. Hoping for a comment or two on the additional picture posted above. Thanks.

10-26-2010, 06:36 AM   #5

Sorry I'm no pro, I have little DSLR experience, and even less photoshop experience.

I quite easily like the 2nd photo over the first. My eye's wonder less, those small rocks give me the same texture and interest as the large ones. However, the composition is far better in the 2nd picture. The sky is more visible, the sun on the tree's in the distance is in better position to be focused on and theirs less clutter.

K, please check out my photo's now :-P

Edit: I'd like to see it "bump" a little more too if possible... maybe increase the vibrancy in the greens

Last edited by Ehlacore; 10-26-2010 at 06:37 AM. Reason: one more thing
10-26-2010, 06:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry Susan... was a bit busy yesterday afternoon. I like the 2nd one much better. I still want one of those big bold boulders in the foreground (you coulda lugged one over there couldn't ya? LOL) but the little ones work too. I also agree with Ehlacore that a little bump in exposure and a selective brightening and saturation of the greens (careful with the yellows) would really bring this image a significant improvement.

Mike
10-26-2010, 06:54 AM   #7

WooHoo! A moderator agreed with me ^_^

Edit: Mike, how about checking out my shots? I know nothing about post work

Last edited by Ehlacore; 10-26-2010 at 06:54 AM. Reason: oh yea
10-26-2010, 07:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Susan,

Leave it alone.

It is an "Oh Wow" picture as it is.

Mickey

10-26-2010, 07:54 AM   #9

I know I'm an amature but here's what I did by just clicking "Soft Light"

Its really hard to see the differences by scrolling but if you save the photo, add a layer, do soft light to the dup. layer and then click the eye you can see the difference better...
Attached Images

Last edited by Ehlacore; 10-26-2010 at 07:55 AM. Reason: explaining
10-26-2010, 08:00 AM   #10

I take that back, it was too dark... I like this one better.
Attached Images

10-26-2010, 09:52 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Hi Susan,
One day I will make it to Acadia but for now looking at pleasant photographs like these two will suffice. While I like both shots, I wouldn’t consider either to be portfolio entries. That’s a high standard, but it’s one I always aim for and critique against.

I prefer the first one because of the added dimension provided by the depth around the rocks. The rocks themselves add a meditative aspect and that’s good. I think a wider-angle and perhaps taller perspective would have improved this one. The foreground feels crammed against the sky, while the left ridge feels crammed against the rocks. The sky feels too small.

The second one is less compelling, though I like the reflection symmetry and especially the break in the middle of the frame. The left side seems too truncated, the right side also, but less so. The objects in the foreground are more ordinary and thus weaker, and my eye passes them over quickly.

The colors and texture are nice though.

Nice enough pictures, certainly for a home or office wall.

M
10-26-2010, 11:42 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks to all of you. You have really given me some great ideas and nice critiques to help me along in my attempts at improvement.
Now, back to the drawing board or PS in this case to see what I can do.