Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2010, 08:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adam's Canyon in the fall
Lens: DA 12-24 Camera: K10D Photo Location: Adam's Canyon, UT ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 3s Aperture: F13.5 

I'd love feedback on this one

10-28-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice image. But I think it would be a stunner if converted to monochrome. Then you could play with the contrast some to separate the rocks from the water a bit better.
10-28-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

It is a little bit too busy at the top IMHO. Perhaps crop the upper 10 - 15% of the image? Other than that I like the colors and the limited range of same!
10-28-2010, 09:18 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It needs to be leveled if nothing else. I would crop off the bottom 1/2 inch or so to just above the white portion of that stick. as that part is sort of busy and distracting. Also a bit dark, perhaps, and the brown leaves don't help in this case.

10-29-2010, 06:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Nice image. But I think it would be a stunner if converted to monochrome. Then you could play with the contrast some to separate the rocks from the water a bit better.
I hadn't thought of monochrome since I was out that day to capture fall colors. I'll play around with it and see what it brings. Thanks for the interesting perspective!
10-29-2010, 06:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
It is a little bit too busy at the top IMHO. Perhaps crop the upper 10 - 15% of the image? Other than that I like the colors and the limited range of same!
My initial impression was to drop that also...I did not because my wife thought it would look better with the top portion included. I'll drop it.
10-29-2010, 06:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
It needs to be leveled if nothing else. I would crop off the bottom 1/2 inch or so to just above the white portion of that stick. as that part is sort of busy and distracting. Also a bit dark, perhaps, and the brown leaves don't help in this case.
The stick on the bottom was accumulating snow as I was taking the shot and that's what is making it white. You are right...it distracts from the object of the picture instead of adds to it.

The leaves could be helped by some PP adjustments. They came out much more brown in the picture than they were in real life. I think if I pumped up the yellow and lightened the picture a bit it will get to the desired effect.

Thanks for the feedback SpecialK!

10-30-2010, 05:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Unless it's what you were going for, the color seems cold. Have you tried a warmer WB?
10-30-2010, 12:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Unless it's what you were going for, the color seems cold. Have you tried a warmer WB?
I was going for cold, but that also dropped some of the yellow out of the leaves. I think it'd look better warmed up
11-02-2010, 04:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The image has too many distractions in it (broken branches, dark rocks etc.). I would consider recomposing on the main part of the water fall perhaps with a slight line of rocks along the bottom to frame. Due to the lack of colour, I would also try a high contrast mono conversion.

Given the reflections on the rocks, I'd definitely have used a polariser here.
12-16-2010, 05:21 PM   #11

I think that you got a good photo, but like some others, I would crop a little off the top, and crop a little more off the bottom. Maybe try a light digital ND to cut the glare, and add a touch of exposure.

I was surprised that you were able to get a 3 sec. shot at that f stop. Were you using a ND filter?
12-16-2010, 06:39 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's another idea. Before you take the shot, clean it up a bit. Taking out the odd sticks at the top would be good, also some at the top of the falls also. I might also take some of the smaller rocks at the bottom out (the ones blocking the pool).

I like the wet rocks and they may also pick up some more color if you warm up the image some. I am never afraid to rearrange the elements in the image some. The next good rainfall they will be rearranged anyway!
12-16-2010, 07:25 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Here's another idea. Before you take the shot, clean it up a bit. Taking out the odd sticks at the top would be good, also some at the top of the falls also. I might also take some of the smaller rocks at the bottom out (the ones blocking the pool).

I like the wet rocks and they may also pick up some more color if you warm up the image some. I am never afraid to rearrange the elements in the image some. The next good rainfall they will be rearranged anyway!
good points. I hadn't considered a cleaning session prior to shooting.
12-16-2010, 11:57 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Crop it from the top to the bottom of the first stream on the right. That will eliminate the sky showing in the top right. Then crop it from the top of the silver color on the stick on the bottom while preserving the very small stream flowing out the bottom right corner. Then play with the brightness till it best pleases you. If you have the opportunity to do it again try at 1 sec and 2 secs exposure to see if the flow is captured better. Good luck.
12-20-2010, 05:16 AM   #15

I made some quick retouch instead of explaining my recommendation in words which may not express what I meant adequately.

I adjusted tone, shadow and highlights and diffuse glow on the water fall and of course a bit cropped on sides.