Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2010, 09:47 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Crisp
Lens: Da*16-50 Camera: K20D Photo Location: West Guilford ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/20s Aperture: F2.8 

Here are a few pictures on a walk trying to capture "CRISP", "crispy" or "crunch"

Let me know
a) if you think it fits within my criterea... what would make it stronger

B) Actual photo crituque,
c) if the photo's seem related, my first time trying to link photo with a common design/theme
Thanks for looking and your time.

Leaf

Crisp Cut

Three

11-02-2010, 04:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Really like the bottom one, would crop it a bit more tightly though.
11-02-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, crispy and crunch(y) are very different (think Capt. Crunch and Rice Krispies) kinds of perceptions from each other. The former is more delicate and generally quieter. The latter is felt more deeply; I perceive crunch to be more violent a la US football or an auto accident.

So perhaps you are setting yourself up for a tougher challenge here than is deserved.

To me, none of these shots convey any relationship to either of your objectives here.

The top leaf is more droopy and rotted than anything. Also the aberations interfere with my seeing the leaves.

The term "crisp cut" seems self-contradictory. Something crisp is broken off into a near-sharp or jagged end--and thin-ness is the visual mode. That log is not thin.

The third shot has some interesting textures but doesn't hold my interest beyond a second. The primary leaf is out of focus.

I think that it is great that you are trying to develop a theme here. That's a very difficult thing to do photographically and mentally, especially when it is not assigned by an external driver. I'd suggest making your theme less subtle and more easy to allow yourself to succeed.

M
11-03-2010, 02:42 PM   #4
smf
Pentaxian

When I hear or read the phrase "a crisp fall day," I think of cool — but not necessarily unpleasant — temperature.
Photo 3 comes closest to that.
In none of the three do I hear "crunch," which to me implies leaves underfoot.
I'd like photo 1 more if the bright spot at lower center wasn't in the photo and if the center, vertical leaf was in sharper focus. (I realize you might be trying to convey movement.)
I admire your self-assignment of a theme, and I'd enjoy seeing your additional photos.
All best,
Stu

11-04-2010, 09:10 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments, i will continue to work on this theme and post a few photos when i get them
11-05-2010, 04:55 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Ok, Take this for what its worth. I wanted comments on my photo so its only fair to try to help others. I'm no expert but here is my two cents. First photo- thought the left half of the leaf should have been in focus but I think that could change if you cropped it to the focused area more right third rather than center. Second pict, I would also make the cut far more right, cut out a lot more of the unfocused area. The last one maybe crop to only the "crisp" leaf. As far as the theme. Last one looks most "crisp" first one is wilted, second one cut or clean. As far as a group, I see fall or forest not crisp. One of the shots should be "outside the box" Crisp = cold morning, Crisp = Potato Chip, Crisp = Apple etc. (maybe Coco Crisp form the Boston Red Sox). Like I said take it for what you can, I probably don't know anything.
11-10-2010, 01:09 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The images are limited to the thin depth of field you used in each shot and as such the small subject area leaves much of the whole subject soft and harder to appreciate. The idea of #1 is good with the out of focus highlights but the central framing does decrease the image's impact.

11-11-2010, 07:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

You need more DOF, better focus and more light. Images are rather dull, instead of crisp. If you don't have good ambient light, fill with flash. Try to find more color.
11-19-2010, 11:48 AM   #9
Pentaxian

You should be getting sharper results with the 16-50 than what is found here. At 1/20 sec, your camera needs to be on a tripod.

The 3rd image is the most promising one. I agree with those who recommend tighter framing. Shooting it at 50mm would give you the best chance and blurring out the background. I would also experiment with focus points, beginning by focusing on the foremost leaf. Shoot raw and add saturation in post. Also another trick to do in post: desaturate and add extra blur to background to bring out the leaves.

The ideal situation for this sort of photography is an overcast day right after it's rained. A good soaking would improve the colors of the leaves.