Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2010, 12:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First wack at layers
Lens: DA 12-24 Camera: K10D Photo Location: Teton Nat'l Park ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: >6s Aperture: F22 

I'd like some candid feedback on these shots. I am trying to improve my post processing and this is my first use of layers. I am using GIMP and followed the instructions posted here: GIMP correct dark images tutorial · Tankedup-Imaging. I used method 1, the contrast mask.

I have 2 different pictures. Of each, I'll show the original (some PP done in Lightroom 2, but exported as a JPEG then modified via layers in GIMP. What I'm looking for is not necessarily the picture composition (I chose these because of the large differences in light/dark areas with the sun on the mountains, but the shadows in the trees in the middle ground). Please be brutally honest!

Picture 1 - original

Picture 1 - layers modified per the tankedup instructions

Picture 2 - original

Picture 2 - layers modified per the tankedup instructions

10-30-2010, 07:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TBH, I prefer both of the originals. The reworked versions are just too flat with all the contrast gone.
10-31-2010, 05:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's what I was looking for. Thanks for the feedback
10-31-2010, 06:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I second his thoughts.

11-02-2010, 06:10 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does your PP program allow use of local tone mapping? It might add back enough selective contrast to help the image flatness, while keeping the details you brought out of the dark sections.
11-02-2010, 01:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jheu02 Quote
Does your PP program allow use of local tone mapping? It might add back enough selective contrast to help the image flatness, while keeping the details you brought out of the dark sections.
I'm using (and learning) GIMP. While I can certainly see the power of the tool, I have a long way to go before I master it. I'm poking around trying to find better ways to use it. There are some great online resources so I just need to read, learn, and do
11-02-2010, 09:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Alright, I did some more messing around with one of the pictures. Here is the end result. Please provide candid feedback. There are part of this I like, then there are things I'm not really so sure of...

11-04-2010, 02:33 AM   #8
juu
Veteran Member

#2 original is the best, but needs the trees a bit lighter, but not so much as in the processed versions - those look artificial. I like the last picture too but it feels a little bit oversharpened or something to me, but I might be overanalyzing.

Overall the #2 picture has lovely composition and definitely worth investing the postprocessing time in, as it has great potential.
11-07-2010, 02:22 PM   #9
wjt
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
the last one looks over sharpened. I also prefer the originals over the processed ones,
11-07-2010, 09:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The last one is getting there, I think. As others have said, it looks a tad over-sharpened. For my 2c worth I'd suggest working from TIFF files rather than JPEG, which will degrade very quickly once you start messing about with them. GIMP will only allow you to work in 8 bit TIFF files, but that's still better than JPEG, IMO. GIMP has some great tools, (though it's not the most intuitive layout) and you can get excellent results with it if you persevere.
11-09-2010, 04:01 PM   #11

I prefer the composition of the 2nd image. The grass in the foreground is awkwardly placed in the first shot, but works well in the 2nd.

The originals are a bit dark, but the edited versions do seem a bit artificial. Perhaps just a little less tweaking would do it. In any case, I'm jealous of your trip to Jackson!
11-09-2010, 07:15 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Hope you don't mind me taking a crack at it. I'm not much for doing post, but felt like giving it a shot.
Attached Images

11-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think I like the originals best, I agree the 2nd original might be just a tad dark. I think you lost some of the color and contrast in the tweaked versions. The second tweaked version is pretty cool thou!