Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2010, 03:44 AM - 1 Like   #16
smf
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's another vote for the color image.

Well seen and well captured.

I look forward to seeing more of your work.

11-07-2010, 06:11 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by christophleipzig Quote
Great shot anyway - but I like the black and white one a bit more.

I cannot say exactly why. Probably the b&w is more abstract: pure "structure of decay". The other one adds "interesting color of a rotting leaf". Good as well, but I personally don't need that. But you had a good eye to find that leaf.
Christoph, my original instinct with the leaf was to go B&W to emphasize the veins, and the result seemed to me to do that. But then I also wanted to make it clear that there were remnants of tissue, which the B&W didn't do such a good job of showing. Thus the color. As an abstract I think the B&W works.

QuoteOriginally posted by KevinR Quote
The first color one is by far the best IMHO. Great shot, moody but yet entrancing and really draws the eye in. The B&W version looses all impact and looks like a weird PP artifact, while the brighter color version seems a little pasty and decreases the dark decay impact.

Nicely done...

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Mark me down for liking the color one better as well. Almost looks fossilized. Nice shot, appropriately named (as usual).

QuoteOriginally posted by Wombat Quote
The colour one for me too - absolutely gorgeous, nice & sharp, fills the frame, tells its story, ticks all the boxes. I'd be happy to hang it on my wall. If you want to persevere with the monochrome image you are, of course, not restricted to black and white. You might find a soft, light sepia or a cyanotype blue could bring out what you were looking for.
Beautiful work - congrats.
QuoteOriginally posted by smf Quote
Here's another vote for the color image.

Well seen and well captured.

I look forward to seeing more of your work.
Thanks very much for your kind words Kevin, Jeff, Wombat, and SMF. Your comments are very much appreciated. Jeff, funny you should mention fossilized, because that was my first thought when I found this leaf, that it looked like a fossil. And Wombat, thanks for the suggestion about trying sepia or cyanotype. I might well give them a go.
11-07-2010, 08:13 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Site Supporter

Looks like it is unanimous! Count me in for the color shot too....it does have nice texture and also meets my normal standard.....will it print and hang well in the appropriate setting? Yes, it would!
Best Regards!
11-07-2010, 12:30 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Looks like it is unanimous! Count me in for the color shot too....it does have nice texture and also meets my normal standard.....will it print and hang well in the appropriate setting? Yes, it would!
Best Regards!
Hey, thanks Rupert!

11-07-2010, 01:07 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I like the color ones better and the second of them best. Just love the earth tones.
I just like the higher contrast and how it, to me, brings out detail in the leaf and wooden background. I get more of the "skeletal" feel on this one.
11-07-2010, 03:11 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Superb colour image. Lose too much definition of the background in the monochrome treatment.
11-08-2010, 06:11 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks much Jools and Jbinpg. I very much appreciate your comments!
11-12-2010, 02:43 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Tamia, I wouldn't change a thing from the first color shot. Awesome image and I would hang that on a wall anytime. JIM

11-13-2010, 06:16 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks very much, Jim. I appreciate it a lot. Unfortunately, all three of these were rejected by PEG. Boo hoo.
11-13-2010, 01:46 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
I didn't look at the pictures for a day to distance myself from it a little, then went back with fresh eyes
That's a good plan to follow. I do the same thing and often realize that the pictures I liked at first do nothing for me, and sometimes the versions that I didn't really care for are what really do it for me. I thought I was the only one.