Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
11-01-2010, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Skeletal
Lens: DA 18-55mm II Camera: K200D Photo Location: Woods in Northern NY ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/45s Aperture: F8 

I was out shooting in the gloomy rainy woods yesterday, and this was one of the shots I came away with. It's a soaking wet leaf which molded itself to the subtle contours of a downed debarked trunk. The softer tissues have almost entirely rotted away (though a few plaques remain behind), but the intricate network of veins remains and stands proud of the smooth wet trunk.

I found that I liked it a lot for its texture when I converted to monochrome, and thought it so unusual it might be one of my better photos. Not so sure that my idea of "excellent" is the same as others' views of excellent, though! So, I'm looking for opinions and suggestions for improvement.

Here are two views of the leaf, the color version with a tighter crop, and the monochrome. CC much appreciated!

11-01-2010, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am generally a fan of B&W, but in this case, the color version is much more striking.
11-02-2010, 05:42 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks much for your comments, Jim. I didn't look at the pictures for a day to distance myself from it a little, then went back with fresh eyes, and have to agree that the monochrome here really doesn't work as well as the color and tighter crop.
11-02-2010, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #4

I love a good bw conv, too, but must agree the colors and texture together really make this photo striking. Well done!

11-02-2010, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Really like the first image, cracking shot.
11-02-2010, 04:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks very much for your comments, Patricia and Big G -- much appreciated!
11-03-2010, 07:18 PM - 1 Like   #7

Definitely the first one. It's really eerie, nice job!

11-04-2010, 02:22 AM - 1 Like   #8
juu
Veteran Member

Colour one is great. The B&W doesn't do it justice. A bit more exposure might help though (on the colour version).
11-06-2010, 05:55 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for your comments Kryosphinx and juu. I've been working more on this image to bring out the outer edge better. Here it is. What do you all think? Have I lost some of the "drama" by doing this?

Here's the original color for comparison:

11-06-2010, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like the first one better. Somehow the 'drama' comes across better if it is somewhat understated. But thats me... I do love the way you pick little elements of the world around us and present them this way!
11-06-2010, 09:30 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks very much for your kind words, Remco. I love focusing on the details most people overlook.
11-06-2010, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #12
Inactive Account

Great shot anyway - but I like the black and white one a bit more.

I cannot say exactly why. Probably the b&w is more abstract: pure "structure of decay". The other one adds "interesting color of a rotting leaf". Good as well, but I personally don't need that. But you had a good eye to find that leaf.
11-06-2010, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

The first color one is by far the best IMHO. Great shot, moody but yet entrancing and really draws the eye in. The B&W version looses all impact and looks like a weird PP artifact, while the brighter color version seems a little pasty and decreases the dark decay impact.

Nicely done...
11-06-2010, 12:30 PM - 1 Like   #14
Inactive Account

Mark me down for liking the color one better as well. Almost looks fossilized. Nice shot, appropriately named (as usual).

11-07-2010, 01:11 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

The colour one for me too - absolutely gorgeous, nice & sharp, fills the frame, tells its story, ticks all the boxes. I'd be happy to hang it on my wall. If you want to persevere with the monochrome image you are, of course, not restricted to black and white. You might find a soft, light sepia or a cyanotype blue could bring out what you were looking for.
Beautiful work - congrats.