Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2010, 04:59 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Under the Bridge
Lens: DA 17-70 Camera: K-7 Photo Location: Ontario ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F9.5 

Aperture actually 9.0. Working on B&W conversion, would appreciate any critique and constructive criticism.

Last edited by stewh; 07-21-2011 at 05:51 AM.
11-02-2010, 05:06 PM   #2
Inactive Account

i like the composition but i think the sky looks too uninteresting, it would look much better if you went down at sunrise/sunset

also the light is too intense, I guess this was shot in the afternoon? The light is too harsh and it makes the shadows very hard- if you re shot it at 'magic hour', the time just before the sun starts to set, then the light is much softer and the picture will be a lot more attractive

although it's a fine photo as it is, well done
11-02-2010, 08:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Black and white may have been a good choice, but it's hard to say. Why? Because I'm having trouble discerning what the subject of this photograph is.
What was your objective(s) for this shot?
At first glance the subject appears to be the line of trees between the two bridge structures in the horizon.
Technically, the water line is not straight. The infrastructure under the bridge roadway could use lightening so we could see it more clearly.

But that's secondary to the ambiguous subject.

M
11-03-2010, 11:39 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you Clark for the critique, I appreciate it. you are right, it was shot in mid-afternoon. I will try to get down there at sunset (sunrise doesn't fit into my life) to see if I can do a better lighting job and maybe catch a more interesting sky.

Miguel, I'm afraid I didn't think much about an objective and for me the 'subject' was the bridge. The dark undersides of the structures contributed, I thought, to an old-fashioned look from a composition POV. You have given me some good questions to ask myself when shooting structural elements. Thank You

11-03-2010, 02:00 PM   #5
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My eyes bounce around in this image. If your objective was to convey a "busy" scene, that would be fine. But because of your statement of subject in your 2:39 p.m. message above, I respectfully suggest different framing your subject when you return to the location.
11-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I realize both sides are leaning in, but I would still rotate it a little to get the shoreline more level. And a bit wider, if you have it, would emphasize the bridge :-)
11-04-2010, 06:17 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you for the help smf. As Miguel also pointed out I have to work more on defining both my objective and the subject of the image in future. SpecialK, I will straighten the waterline and when I am in the area again try a wider shot (if I can do so without going for a swim!!). Thanks.