Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2010, 07:22 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Yosemite Falls
Camera: Pentax Photo Location: Yosemite Falls 

Any Suggestions, primarily Photoshop changes since I can't go back Yosemite to re-shoot this photo, but advise for the next shot is also appreciated.

Last edited by stevenroymallory; 09-14-2011 at 08:00 PM.
11-03-2010, 08:37 PM   #2

Original Poster
Really, I posted in this section for all comments, good, bad, anything. If you look at this please do me the favor of writing something.
11-03-2010, 09:56 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Hi:

The crop seems a bit tight (narrow), and I would try a bit more contrast. If you intended the people to be much of an element, they are kind of small. Finally, it looks like it could stand a little clockwise rotation.

But, you did get the waterfall :-) I totally missed it when I was there...
11-04-2010, 02:17 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Hi:

. . .I would try a bit more contrast. . .

Agreed. Try selectively boosting it with a soft brush and the Dodge/Burn tool

11-04-2010, 02:18 AM   #5
juu
Veteran Member

The man-built road for me clashes with the natural setting, it is very dark, seems to lack contrast and the "framing" (trees) seem to overpower the subject (waterfalls).
11-06-2010, 11:50 PM   #6

i would aslo try and straighten the falls, brings back some good memories though.
11-07-2010, 12:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I agree with all of the above. Basically, it lacks the energy and drama that the subject demands and the suggestions others have made will help in this regard. Also, it doesn't seem very sharp, which is pretty much mandatory for this kind of shot, so you may want to review your sharpening skills.
It's understood that when you post your pics you're keen to get feedback ASAP, but of course not everyone is in your time zone and may be at work, sleeping, whatever, so be a little patient with us. (Some of us are gettin' old, too...)
11-07-2010, 01:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Hi:
If you intended the people to be much of an element, they are kind of small.
They give some sort of a scale to this though (those trees seem to be of a huge size?).

11-07-2010, 05:17 AM   #9
wjt
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
the people are lost in the scene, they blend in too much to the shadows. I also find the crop odd but i understand why you did it. There is nothing that really draws my eye in the shot I think there are too much of the trees to let the waterfall be the subject. Try cropping the ground out, I think in this case the foreground and path add nothing but clutter. Also if you can make the people stand out more in your PP perhaps a crop just under their feet.
11-07-2010, 10:21 AM   #10
Forum Member

The impression I get is the same I get when visiting an antique store or flea market and I flip thought the shoebox full of old travel pics. I mean this in a good way-- there's a certain nostalgic quality to it, you're just missing the old Studebaker and the picnic basket spread out in the foreground, honeymooning couple smiling and young
11-07-2010, 12:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I like the way you cropped this. It accentuates the height of the falls as well as the trees. However, it is left heavy due to the near trunk to the left.

I'd suggest these PP steps:
1. Create a duplicate, then apply Unsharp Mask on the duplicate layer to reduce atmospheric haze. Start with small Amount (say 12), large Radius (say 96), zero Threshold. Adjust to taste.

2. Duplicate the USM layer, apply high pass filter to sharpen the image. Start with radius around 4.9. Reduce opacity to no more than 25%. Adjust to taste.

3. Next, increase contrast. In nature, far mountains are lighter in color than near. Since the foreground trees are fairly dark already, we can increase contrast by making the light area lighter, but leave the dark areas alone. Duplicate the High Pass layer, set it to Linear Dodge, set opacity to around 4, adjust to taste.
11-08-2010, 08:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

To me, the falls are not really visible. Specially at the top, they are very hard to see against the light wall.
11-09-2010, 12:49 PM   #13
Ash
Community Manager

The detail of the falls, the subject of the image, needs to come out.
Aside from the immediate adjustment suggestions above, you can also come closer to the falls next time and shoot with a wider angle, getting more of the falls in the frame whilst still having a border of tree lines to complement the scene. That will also help to eliminate some of the haze and then your PP methods can take care of the rest.