Photos: Gallery
Dinner for Two
Lens: FA 31 Limited Camera: Pentax MZ-5 Photo Location: Vancouver ISO: 1600 

What do you folks think?

AND an excerpt from my Blog post.

11-04-2010, 02:16 AM   #2
juu
Veteran Member

I think the interesting part of the subject (the glasses and the table setting) gets overshadowed by the left part (which is boring) and the reflections (which are interesting, but stand out a bit too much).

Maybe if you shot it from a bit lower to not make the reflections overlap with the glasses and then lower the something (exposure? contrast) of the reflections it might help bring out the subject in focus.

The idea is interesting, but I don't think it sends a cohesive message.
11-06-2010, 12:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the very honest comments. I'll definitely take it to heart.

I personally see it as kind of a "translucent" image. This can make it seem really busy, but I think it has a few "layers", with the 2 cups drawing you into the main subject... and the other items (left part and reflection) work as veils.
11-06-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While the thought and interpretation are exact, I find the background noise of the street and cars a bit distracting. All in all, not bad. Cheers. Don

11-06-2010, 05:52 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In a way I see some humor here. The idea of "dinner for two" implies an intimate engagement--which is what this shot is not! And I think your version squares more with the reality of what the next couple will experience as well.

I'm impressed with your insight.

M
11-07-2010, 12:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
with the 2 cups drawing you into the main subject...
That's the puzzle for me - I'm not sure what the main subject is. If it's the dinner setting, then I agree with juu, that it needs to have greater emphasis, perhaps blurring out the background traffic reflections somewhat. If, however, the main subject is the reflections of the cars, that would be more difficult, given that the table setting is in the mid-foreground. I understand what you're saying about the layers thing and you almost pull it off, but the planes of the composition aren't sufficiently well defined for that, I feel.
The dinner setting is a nice idea - who's coming? Is it an illicit love affair? A wedding anniversary? A first date? Will they both show up? There seems to be a figure approaching from the left. It would have been great to have waited a bit until s/he got a bit closer, which could have given the suggestion that this is the first person to arrive, and all those other scenarios would follow.
Easy to say from where I'm sitting, of course and much harder when you're actually there with only a few seconds to make decisions. Nevertheless, it's a very pleasing experiment.
11-07-2010, 05:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
hehe thanks for all the feedback. definitely taking the "distraction" thing to heart as I'm starting to see how it can seem perhaps a bit busy.