Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
11-07-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
3 Rejects

These three photos were rejected by the PEG with no reason given. Can anyone give me a helpful critique of them so I can figure out what the heck I am doing wrong.
Thanks much for any help. I am getting really discouraged as I don't feel like I've managed to learn anything over the last couple of years.

11-07-2010, 05:54 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Susan, Here are my 5 cents:

The snake photo: The white "dagger" in the background is distracting.

The Utah (?) photo: Could use some more contrast and snap but otherwise a fine composition. Some may complain that the horizon is in the middle but I think it is justified in this case.

The sunset: Appears slightly tilted but otherwise close to perfect I'd say!
11-07-2010, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

I totally agree with Ole on these ones. The snake is sharp but that white "thingy" in the back is really distracting. I love the second photo, just boost the colors a bit. The sunset is good as well. Straighten it out a bit and it should be fine. The one thing I don't like about the 3rd photo is the crop. The reflection has more of the mountains in it than the actual mountains do. Showing more of the sky would really make the picture more appealing.
11-07-2010, 07:21 PM   #4

I'd add that the reflection int eye of the snake are really distracting. It's not completely in focus and sort of blends with the reflection along the head.
This makes my eye roam the photo, looking for something to anchor me down, which in turn gives me an uneasy feeling, as there is no "handhold," so to speak.
I end up anchoring on the scales, but since there are so many, I feel a little lost.

Also, I think there was some study or something that found that the first thing people look for when they see another face is the eyes.
So if the eyes are not immediately noticeable, while the face is, the brain is momentarily confused.

If the eye were black, for instance, my brain would say something like this:

"Oh! Picture!"
Eyes wander around quickly

"Hey look! An Eyeball!"
BOOM!
"OMG SNAKE HEAD!"

"Cool photo."

11-07-2010, 08:23 PM - 1 Like   #5

Hey Susan,
Take heart, photography is about life long learning. Your images are about you and how you see and what you choose to capture. That being said, some will see it and some will not. So keep shooting and be true to your inspirations and hopefully others will see your intent.

Regards, Joe

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
These three photos were rejected by the PEG with no reason given. Can anyone give me a helpful critique of them so I can figure out what the heck I am doing wrong.
Thanks much for any help. I am getting really discouraged as I don't feel like I've managed to learn anything over the last couple of years.

11-07-2010, 08:53 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

I agree with the previous comments. In particular I had exactly the same reaction as kryosphinx to the eye of the snake (though it's still a wonderful photo).
I really don't think you're doing anything "wrong." The landscapes are lovely, technically very good, but to be honest I don't find them very interesting, in the sense that I've seen a million shots like them and I'd like to see something fresh and new. It's that old thing of asking yourself, "why am I taking this shot? What is my emotional reaction to and connection with what is in front of me? How can I communicate this to the viewer?" etc. I'm sure you do this anyway, but sometimes it's beneficial to listen to the answer with a little more attention, I find.
11-08-2010, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I go along with the comments left by the others, Susan, and I echo Joe's. If you enjoy the photos you take, if you're happy with them, that's the most important thing. Some of what you shoot will appeal to others, and then that's great. Don't get discouraged! Photography is a continuous learning experience.

For my part, I liked the snake the first time I saw it. However, that triangular brighter background patch adds nothing and I think the photo would benefit from being cloned out. If the eye was sharper that would be an improvement, too.

I like the landscapes, especially the middle one of the rocks, but that's perhaps because I'm a geologist . It could use a boost to contrast, I think, and there's a dust speck up near the middle of the top edge which should be cloned out.

The reflection photo seems to me to have a slightly tilted "horizon" which I always find a bit bothersome when it happens. It's a beautiful setting and scene, but like Wombat says, it's not a lot different from so many others of its type. That might be one reason why it didn't make it to PEG.

11-08-2010, 09:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks to all of you who offered your critique. It was really helpful. I missed that triangular bit behind the snake's head. Guess it just didn't register with me. His eye was so full of pollen that I wasn't able to get it any sharper than I did. Lacking the skills needed. The reflection in his eye is of me taking the shot.
Tamia, I completely missed that darn dust speck. I always seem to miss just one. I did boost the contrast and it does look better.
Pauld, I see what you mean about showing more of the mountains but I didn't have a wide enough lens and had to decide on the mountain or the reflection. There was no where for me to back up either as we were in a marsh and it wouldn't have been pretty had I tried that.
Joe, Ole and Wombat, thanks for the encouragement.
Back to the drawing board.
Susan
11-09-2010, 08:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Pauld, I see what you mean about showing more of the mountains but I didn't have a wide enough lens and had to decide on the mountain or the reflection. There was no where for me to back up either as we were in a marsh and it wouldn't have been pretty had I tried that.
I know exactly what you mean. I was on a mountain top in the Dominican RePublic last year and had a beautiful shot but only had one lens with me and couldn't fit what I wanted into the frame. All I could think was "if I only had a wider lens!". I've learned my lesson since then and always use a wider lens.
11-09-2010, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I think Ole was right on the money with his analysis. The snake shot can be easily corrected with some processing. I love the 2nd one just as it is, but a little more contrast, not too much, might make it "pop" a little more. The third does not appeal to me, so I won't comment on it, but that does not mean it is not a worthy shot.....remember, I'm just an old Squirrel shooter. LOL!

Discouraged? No, no! You have some very good shots there, and undoubtedly have many more. You should never judge yourself by not getting in a Gallery...or by getting in a Gallery. The "Real World" is quite different from the vapors of the internet. I have shots that hang in my Downtown Gallery that I don't even like, but are the most popular there.......go figure!
Best Regards!
11-09-2010, 09:22 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for taking the time to offer some critique Rupert. I appreciate it.
I have corrected the dagger behind the snake and added some contrast to the second shot as suggested and they do look better although there is no hope for the snake's eyes.
Again, thanks everyone.
11-09-2010, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #12

Photos: Albums
I think you're seeing a lot of responses because these are good photos, not poor ones!

The eye of the snake ruins it for me. I like everything else about the photo and don't mind the white streak. It is one of those shots that just didn't work and was so close to perfect. Hate it when that happens...

In the second photo I see a total of four dust spots. I would add some shape to the tone curve, a little s curve could go a long way. That's just another way of adding contrast. I like where the stronger light is starting to break through near the horizon on the left hand side.

The detail in the trees looks really funny to me on the last shot. Looks like something to do with converting to the small size. Personally I would put a little more light in the tree area to bring out the detail.

You're taking good photos
11-09-2010, 12:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the help lowspark86. I see the dust spot tamia mentioned but I can't find the others. My eyesight has gotten worse lately I guess. I will go back and have another look. Thanks for the heads up on that one. I hate those dust spots. Thank heavens it doesn't seem to be a problem with the K-7.
Susan
11-09-2010, 12:42 PM   #14
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There does need to have the 'wow' factor in the image to get the PEG seal of approval, which goes beyond the technical competence of the shot. So keep at it Susan, you do produce some fine work.
11-10-2010, 08:39 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comment Ash.