Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2010, 12:19 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Pregnancy
Lens: 35-105 Camera: K-x Photo Location: NC ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F3.5 

Hi-

Looking for critique on this. Two things I see in first are (1) He's not looking at the camera and (2) I don't like her hair outline against the black rocks.

This is my first attempt at shooting pregnancy pictures.

Attached Images

Last edited by clarkebd; 11-11-2010 at 12:47 PM.
11-11-2010, 12:34 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It is pretty soft, and the crop does not work too well...
11-11-2010, 01:43 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A different background, possibly trees, and a tighter crop and a vertical format might work a little better.
11-11-2010, 02:38 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Intimacy is not conveyed in both pictures. You are too far away--they look like strangers to the photographer. Their body language is too stilted also.

Perhaps a contributing factor is that your set is a public space which could inhibit most couples. Most of these kind of shots are taken in a controlled environment indoors. Perhaps their place with suitable lighting would work better.

M

11-11-2010, 04:25 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Intimacy is not conveyed in both pictures. You are too far away--they look like strangers to the photographer. Their body language is too stilted also.

Perhaps a contributing factor is that your set is a public space which could inhibit most couples. Most of these kind of shots are taken in a controlled environment indoors. Perhaps their place with suitable lighting would work better.

M
+1 on that thought. I guess that, that is the sort of feeling that we as portraitists need to try to produce. It is a learned skill, we aren't born with it. It's as much a matter of proper staging as it is lighting or technical photographic skills. Good luck!
11-11-2010, 06:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I think the background would work great to isolate the subjects. Try moving closer for a tighter shot and increase your DOF for better focus. Images lack sharp detail, and while that may be partly because of the shallow DOF and lens choice, I think it is mostly lighting. You need more light on your subjects, either natural, artifical or fill-flash to give the shot more detail and pop.
11-12-2010, 12:06 AM   #7
Ash
Community Manager

Sorry Brian, these do not work well.
Bad framing (look in your viewfinder), ordinary poses (you need to know and orchestrate these strictly), OOF subjects (stop down and nail your focus), unflattering lighting (flat and in need of a boost with supplementary flash, preferable off-camera) and distracting background (uncomplementary) all detract from the emotions and the joy the couple have.
11-15-2010, 09:32 PM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the comments all.

I agree it doesn't accentuate the pregnancy at all. I like the background though - it is distracting, but a neat background for a different type of pic.

Well luckily, pregnancy pics are not interesting to me at all (it shows here!).

I just thought I'd try some and felt too much 'stress'. Really different when you are trying to take pics for someone ELSE and not just yourself.

11-16-2010, 10:04 PM   #9
S_V
Inactive Account

[langtitle=ru]S_V[/langtitle]

QuoteOriginally posted by clarkebd Quote
hi-

looking for critique on this. Two things i see in first are (1) he's not looking at the camera and (2) i don't like her hair outline against the black rocks.

This is my first attempt at shooting pregnancy pictures.
Счастье