Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
End of the Season
Lens: DA 17-70 Camera: K-7 Photo Location: Ontario ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F9.5 

I would very much appreciate critique and any advice or help.

Last edited by stewh; 07-21-2011 at 05:51 AM.
11-21-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It may be my monitor only, but I find the image appears a bit softer in contrast than I would have done it. It's a very Ontario winter image, for sure. I froze near there for several years. LOL
11-21-2010, 04:50 PM   #3

Atmosphere

Love the atmosphere, you can almost feel the chill. I would have liked to see more of the vessel on the right and maybe crop out the tower on the left. Other than that IMHO, it looks cool.
11-21-2010, 06:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I like it....has a nice feel to it and brings to mind that winter is near. I too think that a crop out of the tower and a little more contrast would benefit it. Very nice shot!
Best Regards!

11-22-2010, 07:05 AM   #5

Original Poster
Crop & Contrast

Thank you all for the critique; it is very helpful to get similar advice from more than one contributor. Albert, we have been fairly 'weather lucky' in Ontario so far - no sign of snow yet. Gene, where to crop is something that can be problematic for me; I agree with you and Rupert that the image is better without the tower. I did take some shots that show more of the boat including some with the entire thing. Each had advantages IMHO but I was trying to use the large square shape in the composition of this shot (???success). Thanks Rupert for the encouragement; I'm working at it.

I am posting a cropped image that I hope is 'contrasty' enough. I'm a bit fearful of going over the top.

thanks all

Last edited by stewh; 07-21-2011 at 05:51 AM.
11-22-2010, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stewh Quote
Thank you all for the critique; it is very helpful to get similar advice from more than one contributor. Albert, we have been fairly 'weather lucky' in Ontario so far - no sign of snow yet. Gene, where to crop is something that can be problematic for me; I agree with you and Rupert that the image is better without the tower. I did take some shots that show more of the boat including some with the entire thing. Each had advantages IMHO but I was trying to use the large square shape in the composition of this shot (???success). Thanks Rupert for the encouragement; I'm working at it.

I am posting a cropped image that I hope is 'contrasty' enough. I'm a bit fearful of going over the top.

thanks all
IMHO that is much better! Don't be too proud of being "weather lucky" - we were marveling at not having snow by Halloween but ... pride goes before using the snow blower.
11-22-2010, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #7

oh yeah

Iike the crop a lot. Hey, here in Virginia I am not too proud to crank up the snow blower. I'm praying for a mild winter after last year.

11-22-2010, 04:44 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gene Temple Quote
Iike the crop a lot. Hey, here in Virginia I am not too proud to crank up the snow blower. I'm praying for a mild winter after last year.
I like both the crop and the extra contrast. It makes the picture come alive for me.

As to snow blowing, I think the answer to your prayers might be "No". It's a La Nina winter according to the forecasters.
11-22-2010, 08:01 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

The crop did it for me...and brought the subject(s) in a little closer too, which improved the viewing. Contrast looks just about right too. Nice work!
Regards!
11-23-2010, 08:39 AM   #10

Original Poster
Albert, Gene & Rupert - thanks very much for the advice. I agree completely that the re-crop and increased contrast have made the image much better. Small things - a big improvement.