Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2010, 04:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Another Beauty headshot
Lens: 77 Limited Camera: K-7 Photo Location: Central Maine, USA ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F6.7 

Post in CS4 and OnOne Phototools Professional. Lighting was with a beauty light above and a Metz 58 below with a Honl grid.

Last edited by candgpics; 09-28-2012 at 07:11 PM.
11-22-2010, 08:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess I could find something I don't like here....but it looks good to me? The color and tones are very nice on my screen, she is a lovely Model, and the focus and sharpness is just right for my eyes.
I might like her looking more toward me...and I don't care for those little lip buttons....I clone them out of my girls most of the time, but realize I am just old and "out of touch" with the new "styles'..... if that is the right word?
I also think that is a lens I ought to have soon.....do you use it often for this type of work? It did great for you here!
Best Regards!
11-24-2010, 08:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for your comments. The lip earing is a tough thing to deal with. In some photos it looks more like a blemish than an earing, but in person I think Kelsey looks very nice with it, so I try to preserve it.

I appreciate you taking the time to leave the comments.
11-24-2010, 02:07 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks good to me too. What's to improve? The pose? Perhaps a little more drama in the posture, like a slight lean forward to make her extend her neck gracefully, for example.

But the biggest thing missing in this shot is some makeup. She is already a very beautiful woman, but a judicious touch of makeup adds such life to the portrait. Then in PP, create points of interest in them, like a small sparkle in the lip stud. Not sure if your intent of the portrait was to be more natural, but those extra touches are like icing on the cake.

Last edited by Ash; 11-24-2010 at 03:29 PM.
11-24-2010, 03:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanx so much. I was trying to go natural in this one. It also had a soft element, without actually being soft. I may try to highlight points on some other images. Her makeup here and at the shoot was fairly simple, though.
11-24-2010, 03:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Rupert:

I do use the 77 Limited a bunch, but also use the DA* 55. I tend to prefer the 77, but I have come to slowly realuze that the differences in all of these lenses are rather subtle, especially as you approach and exceed f/5.6, and probably a lot more noticable to us, than non-photographers. My wife, who is a very good constructive critic for me, often does not see the various little pixel peeping points I often point out to her. Having said that, I like how the 77 renders images. It focuses well, is very light, and feels very nostalgic.