Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Location: Living in Vancouver, BC, born in Melbourne Australia
Photos: Albums
Gulf Island Cabins
Lens: Varied Camera: K20D Photo Location: British Columbia, Canada 

Hi all,

I've completed a shoot for my Architectural office recently (luckily enough alongside an extremely good pro). There project was 4 small sleeping cabins.

My images can be seen at this location

Two of my favourite images are below.

Any comments and criticism would be greatly appreciated, both relating to composition and, colour balancing etc. The lighting conditions I found extremely challenging and in a couple of the images lost a little detail in the highlights.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

11-24-2010, 06:59 PM   #2

Andrew,

Your #5 is great, wouldn't be surprised if you could sell if for a magazine cover. My next favorite would your #4. Same cabin as your favorite. Looking at your #1, I am left wondering what's around the corner. In # 4 you have moved to your right and left the lake out of the picture. It no longer distracts the viewer. Now you can look right through the cabin, see the grade, the decks, the chair and that really interesting tree (madrone?).

Good Job,

Jim
11-24-2010, 09:49 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the comments. A great point you made about the difference between No. 1 and 4. The Perspective in 4 does pull you into the photo and the building better. I think the tree may be an Arbutus (but I'll be happy to be corrected).

It's actually a different cabin to photo number 5. I couldn't reorder my photos in the Album.

Cabin 1: Photos 2, 5 foreground and 8
Cabin 2: Photo 2 background
Cabin 3: Photos 3 and 7
Cabin 4: Photos 1, 4, 6, foreground 7

Thanks again.

Andrew
11-25-2010, 02:24 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No 5 is good. Cropping 20% off the top and 10% off the bottom would improve it. I would also like to see some more light on the deck. The staging of the furniture within the cabin is a little clumsy.

No 8 has great light and tone. It needs straightening or the use of a shift tilt lens.

The others tend to have the trees swallow up the cabin. That’s good for non-photo values, but makes it difficult to get framing right.

I don’t know the intention of your work portfolio or its context of use. The one thing all these shots lack is some soul. To me the presence of people add a more meaningful dimension in shots like these. Cabins are meant to be inhibited.

M

11-25-2010, 11:24 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Miguel,

I'll have a look at No. 5 and try a crop. I might be able to bring some tones up with a little PP on the deck - we'll see. Yeah, I know about the furniture, It was positioned for the professional who was shooting from my left.

The trees are as much a part of the site as the cabins are. It was part of the struggle in designing them (so as the leave the site untouched) and then shooting them.

Architectural photography will 95% of the time be devoid of people. This began when in the early days when exposures were in the range of minutes, thus removing all habitation from the image. The shots you will see in magazines like Dwell etc are not usual architectural shoots.

But yes cabins are meant to have people in them!

I now own and Shift Lens and have been thoroughly enjoying using it. I didn't have it on this shoot.

Thanks again.