Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2010, 09:24 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Midtown Tokyo Illumination
Lens: 18-55 f/3.5 Camera: *istDS Photo Location: Midtown Tokyo ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 2s Aperture: F4 

Just got a DSLR in February and finally started putting it to use with some lenses that I've been trying out. I was taking pics of the Midtown Tokyo Christmas illuminations (so awesome!) and this is one of the only photos I took that I like. Lemme know what you think, how I can make it better, etc! Also, I've been noticing that almost of all my photos, no matter what lens I use have almost a "hazy" feel to it and I'm not sure how to fix that

Thanks, folks! Look forward to learning something

Album:
Picasa Web Albums - Lauren Hamburg - 20101125

Attached Images

11-25-2010, 09:30 AM   #2

Original Poster
Dang, looking at it bigger its really out of focus and I had it on a tripod *sigh*
11-25-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes Hambino, it's unacceptably soft.
A few things:
1. Stop down more. f/4 is basically wide open on the kit lens - you'll rarely get decently sharp images at this aperture even if perfectly focused and with no motion blur or camera shake. Nothing wrong with an 8 sec exposure at f/8 rather than a 2 sec one at f/4 - there's no rush since you have a tripod.
2. The tripod doesn't look like it was stable - since everything in the image appears to be blurry. It must be perfectly still for the entirety of the exposure, so a sturdy tripod on solid ground in no wind is the best combination.
3. Ensure you have a 2sec delay for your shutter to avoid any camera movement from pressing the shutter button from affecting the exposure.

Hope this helps.
11-25-2010, 05:19 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you! Thr tripod wasn't actually perfectly steady bc there were people next to me that were always in the shot so I had to lean it forward against the rail some. The illuminations are going to be up for awhile so I'm going to go back next weekend (maybe even sooner ) and try your suggestions.

« Headshot | Shelby »