Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2010, 08:51 PM   #1

First time out
Lens: Sigma 24-70 f2.8 Camera: K-x Photo Location: Domain 

I've posted this on the Post your Photos side but I feel like I should post here for more critique. It was extremely bright when I took these so I should have taken that into account before going out but this was the only time I was free. By the door it was a lot darker but I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it. This is my first time trying to replicate a "photoshoot". Usually I just take pictures for fun but I tried to do a little more this time but gave up due to the harsh lighting. Be nice

Attached Images

12-02-2010, 01:44 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only one that works for me is the third. The first is OOF, the second looks like a complete snapshot, and in the last one she's too far off to the site, and the colors seem washed out.

The third is right on though- the colors are popped, and the crop is perfect!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-02-2010, 02:13 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well...

Photo three is the only one I like of the group. The focus is sharp, the colors are good, the composition is good and the subject is clear. But even with that, I feel that it could be better, sharper, cleaner. Picture has the feel of using the camera straight out of the box with not "adjustments." It's good but it could be better.

Photo one, the model looks like she's falling out of the frame, the background is to bright and focus is poor. Colors are washed out. Background is so bright that it's causing the camera to wash out the colors.

Photo two, the composition is making me dizzy. Her knee is in focus but her face is not. It's a challange to get the focus right when shooting people. If you can capture the person's eyes and get them in perfect focus, you're on the right track. If you can't, dump the image and try again. Background is competing with the model to, the dark on dark doesn't do it here. She's disappearing through her center.

Photo four I feel like the subject has fallen to the bottom of the frame, I cant' tell what you're trying to convey here. The colors are sort of "blah" but you did do a good job on the focusing. The eyes are pretty clear in this image. If you crop it differntly and play with it in post production, it could be okay but nothing to write home about.

Besides for playing with the model position and the light, mess around with your camera and experiment the the sharpeness and contrast settings. Take the same picture 20 times trying 20 setting variations. And then really look at them and figure out what works and what doesn't and why. It's like doing math problems in grade school, it's tedious but you start to see the pattern after awhile. You need to learn the pattern of your camera in different shooting situations. Also, make sure you're shooting at your camera's highest resolution. I know the default settings on my K20d were good when I got it but they were not as good as the could have been. I don't know the Kx but my guess is that Pentax has left some tweeking to be done by you in order for you to get the shots you want to get.

Hope these comment help.