Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #1

Is my night right???
Lens: DAL50-200mm Camera: K-x Photo Location: Changsha, China ISO: 400 

I was always scared of taking night shots (i am not the one who wants a flash, in fact never use them), but gave a try of a handful of shot was able to get a couple of basic shots...please comment....

Thanks ahead for your suggestions and critiques.

All pictures were adjusted for contrast.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo   

Last edited by arunshan82; 12-02-2010 at 12:13 PM.
12-02-2010, 12:50 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only one that works for me is the last one, which is actually quite good. The problem with the first is that the composition is off and there is some blurriness, and in the second, it looks like the DOF is too shallow and that there is also some motion blur. Great colors and idea in the third, however!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-02-2010, 02:51 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Adam , as i mentioned above I was always scared of taking night shots, and I panic the moment i begin to compose my shot visualizing the output. I have a long way to go.
12-02-2010, 05:40 PM   #4

i am no expert but try opening up your shutter speed.. combine this with a tripod to really let some light in

12-02-2010, 10:16 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
If you're struggling to shoot handheld, try a few things:

Bring the ISO up. Use the largest aperture available to use. For example, you could have brought the ISO up to 3200 and shot at 50mm with an aperture of f4. Doing this should allow you to take night photos with ease.

Use the shortest focal length possible. By using a short focal length, camera shake become less noticable. A little math can help here:

The lowest recommended shutter speed for a 50mm on a crop sensor would be the focal length times the crop sensor crop. This would be 50*1.5=75mm effective. Take the reciprocal, which is 1/75. That would be the minimum shutter speed you could use without shake reduction. If there is no way to select 1/75 of a second, just round up to be safe.

With shake reduction and 50mm focal length you could easily go down to 1/20 of a second and get little motion blur. In order to compensate for the extra light from the lowered shutter speed, you could reduce your ISO from 3200 to 800 ISO or increase your aperture to f8.

Improving your handholding technique can make shake reduction even move effective. If you can keep yourself from shaking, there will be less motion blur.

However, in order to freeze motion of objects, you must use your discretion; does it look like it moving a lot in your viewfinder? If it is, you must use higher shutter speed to compensate for the motion of the object.

EDIT:After making this post I'm not entirely sure why I made it.

My only real problem I have with these images is the blown out highlights. Otherwise, I like the second one the most.
12-02-2010, 10:26 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
A quick glance presents something I like in the first and third. I don't like the awkward angle of the first, but the dreaminess of the upper right corner somewhat intrigues me...
12-03-2010, 03:30 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tackyat.2 Quote
If you're struggling to shoot handheld, try a few things:

Bring the ISO up. Use the largest aperture available to use. For example, you could have brought the ISO up to 3200 and shot at 50mm with an aperture of f4. Doing this should allow you to take night photos with ease.

Use the shortest focal length possible. By using a short focal length, camera shake become less noticable. A little math can help here:

The lowest recommended shutter speed for a 50mm on a crop sensor would be the focal length times the crop sensor crop. This would be 50*1.5=75mm effective. Take the reciprocal, which is 1/75. That would be the minimum shutter speed you could use without shake reduction. If there is no way to select 1/75 of a second, just round up to be safe.

With shake reduction and 50mm focal length you could easily go down to 1/20 of a second and get little motion blur. In order to compensate for the extra light from the lowered shutter speed, you could reduce your ISO from 3200 to 800 ISO or increase your aperture to f8.

Improving your handholding technique can make shake reduction even move effective. If you can keep yourself from shaking, there will be less motion blur.

However, in order to freeze motion of objects, you must use your discretion; does it look like it moving a lot in your viewfinder? If it is, you must use higher shutter speed to compensate for the motion of the object.

EDIT:After making this post I'm not entirely sure why I made it.

My only real problem I have with these images is the blown out highlights. Otherwise, I like the second one the most.
HI Tackyat,

Thanks for the suggestions, they are going to be really handy for the days to come

12-04-2010, 01:14 PM   #8
smf
Pentaxian

I like the third photo.
I don't see the point of the awkward angle of the first photo.
The blurry hands in the second photo don't work for me.
I'd enjoy seeing more of your work.
12-05-2010, 08:03 AM   #9

Original Poster
thanks smf for the encouragement, i will be posting more, just following some ones words of sleeping on my pictures before able to gather a few for comments....
12-05-2010, 02:25 PM   #10
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

dont be afraid to fire off the flash