Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2010, 07:47 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
House

Not sure about this one and this is one of the types of shots that I struggle with:

12-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Architectural structures are a challenge to photograph effectively.
There are a few issues with this photo that can be addressed before releasing the shutter:
1. Lighting makes it difficult to appreciate the setting and shadow areas of the structure. A more diffused sun would help with the overall look of the image.
2. The aspect chosen to take the photo focuses on the entrance, which is cluttered with distracting foliage everywhere. A front-on perspective incorporating the roof of the building may provide more appreciation of the whole structure.
3. There is little interest this scene garners and the question to be asked is 'what is the message I want the viewer to gain from this photo?' and test it by reviewing your result to see if you think the message gets through with the photo.

Hope this helps.
12-08-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I like the b&w conversion in your photo. Often I'll shoot a subject I think is interesting but the image never seems as interesting. Most of the time it is becasue the composition is weak, the light is flat, or the sky is featureless. Other times it is because I was too lazy to switch to a different lens or find a more interesting perspective (Not all photos look great from a standing position and shooting straight on).

Try to figure out what attracted you to this subject and what can you do different next time?

Tim
12-08-2010, 05:29 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Good thoughts to help me evaluate my perspective. Thanks!

12-09-2010, 01:07 AM   #5

Maybe you should straighten the photo at the very least?

also

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
3. There is little interest this scene garners and the question to be asked is 'what is the message I want the viewer to gain from this photo?' and test it by reviewing your result to see if you think the message gets through with the photo.
12-13-2010, 05:43 AM   #6
smf
Pentaxian

I also like the b/w conversion and would vote for straightening.