Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2010, 01:20 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A few of my first shots
Lens: 18-55 Camera: k-x Photo Location: Coromandel NZ 

A few of my first shots with my new k-x and standard lens. Complete newbie to photography but please be critical. I want to learn

Some PP has been done such as contrast, saturation

12-06-2010, 04:55 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi and welcome to the critique forum.
Firstly your PP is just right for colours, contrast and white balance.
Sharpness is decent in each of the subject matter, and it's clear the intent/subject of the images.
What the images lack is great impact.

Perhaps with the exception of #4, the captures are snapshot-like and unflattering, despite being well rendered. The lighting worked against your favour for #1 and 2, and #3 is a plain landscape that doesn't have an interesting point of focus - ask yourself what can I do to make this scene look unique, and not something everyone has seen and is bored of seeing as a photograph.

#4 on the other hand is a decent pano - the silhouette works well, the warm colors complement the scene, and the background formation is pleasant, and contrasts well with the sea and jutting wharf. Well done.
12-06-2010, 05:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agree with Ash for all except #1 which I find a pleasantly framed shot.
12-06-2010, 10:14 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments guys. Ash, now that I look at what you have said I totally agree. If the light was behind rather than in front of me with #1 and #2 I think it would be better. Basically the shots are of not much and just taken at random of what there was to photo. Glad you pointed out such things!

12-13-2010, 04:25 AM   #5
smf
Pentaxian

My favorites, are frames 4 and 2.

I like the final frame, but you might consider cropping out a bit of the bottom, thereby drawing more attention to the sky.

In the first frame, I find the wide, out-of-focus expanse at the right competing with rather than drawing appropriate attention to the delightful red flowers. (I understand the techniques of use of the rule of thirds and placing the subject off center.) Frame 2 is an example of a successful photo despite the centering. (It might have been successful in a non-centered view, too.)

Frame 3 is a lovely "postcard" shot which, I imagine, beautifully captures a memory.

Best wishes,
Stu
12-14-2010, 04:46 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I also think #4 is the best shot. Very nice reflection on the sea and even the boat or platform on the left adds something. I think you could improve #3 by cropping off quite a bit from the bottom. You'd need a nicer sky to make it an outstanding shot but I think cropped it would be a very decent shot.