Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2010, 09:57 PM   #1

Sunrise and Fog
Lens: DA 18-55 AL II Camera: Kx Photo Location: Montana ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F16 

The sun has burned away some of the fog and is hitting the tops of the cottonwood trees. Kind of a subdued scene. Comments?

Last edited by jkwhawk; 10-26-2011 at 10:24 AM.
12-07-2010, 10:25 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What was your intention for this landscape? The problem with the image is that there is no distinct subject and as such nothing to portray other than snow and bare trees. Without a more inviting scene, it will not strike the viewer as an image to admire or look deeper into.

Last edited by Ash; 12-08-2010 at 12:11 AM.
12-07-2010, 11:22 PM   #3

Original Poster
Good point. My feeling was that not every scene has to something that is a striking focal point. This is kind of an ethereal scene to me. Reminds me of a Currier and Ives print. Or Robert Frost's poem about stopping by the woods on a snowy evening. And maybe landscape is the wrong term. Perhaps "other" is more well suited. If the fog had lifted this scene would have been entirely different; snow covered mountains are in the background and would be centered and clearly visible. And maybe I've just been through three weeks of miserable weather with no really good opportunities. You know, sometimes anything is better than nothing. Thanks for your comments!
12-13-2010, 04:42 AM   #4
smf
Pentaxian

I consider this to be a rich image -- partially because of the light (brightness) at the top and the lower fog.

I also like the depth provided by the out-of-focus (or fog-obscured) wooden structure in the background.

Nicely composed and presented. It's a "keeper."

Stu

12-19-2010, 03:06 PM   #5
Inactive Account

You picked a difficult subject. Snow usually requires about an over-exposure of 2 stops to get it white rather than grey. In this case that would lose the effect of the fog. A graduated Neutral Density Filter may have worked to render the snow and fog in proper balance/brightness/texture. The idea is good. My preference would be to frame the scene as if the left third of the present photo were cropped out. Montana, no speed limits, oh boy! Season's greetings.
12-19-2010, 03:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

i like it..reminds me of a home where I grew up....photos to do that to ya ..thanks for sharing mate ..
12-19-2010, 03:35 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jkwhawk Quote
Good point. My feeling was that not every scene has to something that is a striking focal point. This is kind of an ethereal scene to me. Reminds me of a Currier and Ives print. Or Robert Frost's poem about stopping by the woods on a snowy evening. And maybe landscape is the wrong term. Perhaps "other" is more well suited. If the fog had lifted this scene would have been entirely different; snow covered mountains are in the background and would be centered and clearly visible. And maybe I've just been through three weeks of miserable weather with no really good opportunities. You know, sometimes anything is better than nothing. Thanks for your comments!
No worries mate.
And it seems my thoughts on the image don't reflect the majority opinion.
The image clearly has deeper meaning to you as the artist, and this is the meaning I'd be keen to see come through for those not cognisant of such poetry that brings such scenes to mind.

12-19-2010, 03:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

i just wanna get me little red Wellington boots on and run through that snow..lol..like i was a 5 year old again [ bloody middle aged old git that I am now]

dont get too much snow in perth...LOL
12-21-2010, 06:35 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I like this picture; seems like you made the most of the situation.

Paul
« Dragonflies | Glow »