Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Suleymaniye Mosque
Lens: Sigma 10-20 Camera: K-7 Photo Location: ISTANBUL ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: >6s Aperture: F27 

12-09-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Beautiful photo beautifully done imho! Thank you so much for sharing Mr. Mayorov!

(I am also impressed by the list of lenses in your signature )
12-09-2010, 10:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rhodopsin Quote
Beautiful photo beautifully done imho! Thank you so much for sharing Mr. Mayorov!

(I am also impressed by the list of lenses in your signature )
I have to update it Canon 5D gone, K-5 will be here next week.

12-10-2010, 01:08 AM   #4

thanks for sharing here Alex

12-10-2010, 03:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
first off... I hate you... just putting that out there... I have just literary spent the last 2 hours talking myself out of a sigma 10-20... and I figure to suppress my LBA I'll go critic some photos and I bet I will not even care what lens they use... first one! Bam... oh that's nice and wide! DARN IT!

----------------

onto the photo

----------------

Interesting place you found there... and I think you took the right approach to capturing it with the long exposure... but two little things... with arch photos on this grand of scale I think you need to be bang on the money with having everything square and in the middle... however.. I think you are off to the right in your first photo... I can see 5ish windows on the left at the top and only 4 on the right... which carries through the whole photo twisting/skewing everything just a bit.

secondly with long exposure sometimes you need to wait at your spot for hours for just the right person to come along and form a subject... in your case... i think the opposite is true... the person up close on the right does nothing for the image... maybe a quick retake once she was gone would be good...

Everything else is neat and fine... i like the stars from the f27... colours are pleasing... well done... 4/5

Last edited by icywarm; 12-10-2010 at 03:51 AM.
12-10-2010, 03:45 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
beautiful
12-10-2010, 04:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
first off... I hate you... just putting that out there... I have just literary spent the last 2 hours talking myself out of a sigma 10-20... and I figure to suppress my LBA I'll go critic some photos and I bet I will not even care what lens they use... first one! Bam... oh that's nice and wide! DARN IT!

----------------

onto the photo

----------------

Interesting place you found there... and I think you took the right approach to capturing it with the long exposure... but two little things... with arch photos on this grand of scale I think you need to be bang on the money with having everything square and in the middle... however.. I think you are off to the right in your first photo... I can see 5ish windows on the left at the top and only 4 on the right... which carries through the whole photo twisting/skewing everything just a bit.

secondly with long exposure sometimes you need to wait at your spot for hours for just the right person to come along and form a subject... in your case... i think the opposite is true... the person up close on the right does nothing for the image... maybe a quick retake once she was gone would be good...

Everything else is neat and fine... i like the stars from the f27... colours are pleasing... well done... 4/5
Thanks a lot for your comments and critics.
Suleymaniye is on of the most famous ones in Istanbul. Its been closed for visit for almost 2.5 years. Its been 3 weeks or maybe 1 month since they reopened it for visits. Its impossible to find this mosque empty. Maybe you will'be able to find it empty at 8 am ? However tourists sometimes are so impolite. They saw me trying to take photo but still they tend to get in the middle of the photo. I've tried a lot to find a moment to get clear photo but once someone sees me taking photo he get closer to me and trying the same photo. Thats why I was unable to get exactly in middle and with good exposure.
Well, I'll take it as homework. I hope next week I will share with you a better photo.

Here is one another.

Last edited by AlexanderMayorov; 12-10-2010 at 04:09 AM. Reason: addition of photo
12-10-2010, 05:16 AM   #8

Photos: Albums
Great shots. The geometry and lights make them very enjoyable to look at.
12-10-2010, 07:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I like the first one best, as the latter two have a distinctive "I'm pointing up and going ultra wide so that I can fit the dome in this shot" feel to it.

It sounds like you are really trying to capture the mosque without people in it - maybe an ND filter and smaller aperture to force a longer exposure? Won't take out everyone, but maybe people that a moving will ghost their way out. Alternately you can take multiple shots from a tripod and mix and match areas to remove folk?

But I like the people in the first shot. The shot is not just about the building, but how people are interacting and relating to it. The person on the right - particularly with the bit of motion blur - acts as a gateway into the photo. And the silhouette of people along the railing adds a sense of mystery to me, makes me ask who they are and what they are doing. If this where my photo, I might try cropping it so that the round disk on the left column sits in the upper left and the person walking into the frame sits in the lower right. You'll be cutting off much of the dome, but you can always show the full beauty of it in another shot, right?

Thanks for posting!
12-10-2010, 09:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

you mentioned maybe at 8 am it would be empty.... I would say than go at 8 am... one thing I have learned that if you want the perfect photo you need to control all the variables... but if that is not possible... try the ND filter it could help... it seems very interesting and I hope you don't tire of shooting it... some amazing detail in there!
12-10-2010, 11:06 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the first shot best. Having people in the frame connects spirituality with the physical building. What a wonderful place indeed.

Have you performed any distortion correction on these shots?

Thanks,

M
12-10-2010, 11:25 AM   #12
Forum Member

Süleymaniye Mosque - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
very nice shot of a very nice place (1). people praying in the first shot giving motion to image but that woman on the right side is a distraction. i hope u can shoot Suleymaniye Mosque better, and i hope people wont leave these historical places empty :]

at the third shoot, main dome doesnt look like 53 m high. And the man at bottom left is making the photo feel like a snapshot.
12-11-2010, 01:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
12-11-2010, 01:27 PM   #14
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well done capture of this historic mosque.
#1 is indeed the finest rendition and perspective.
A touch of HDR or shadows/highlights treatment may work wonders on this particular scene given the large amount of shadow detail that features prominently in the architecture in this shot.
Otherwise well done.
12-11-2010, 07:27 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice image, Alexander. Number 1 is my favorite. I would be very interested in a comparison shot taken with your new K-5 if that is even possible.