Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2010, 04:05 PM   #1

Tomato
Lens: DA*16-50 Camera: K10D Photo Location: SAN DIEGO (MY YARD) ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1s Aperture: F16 

a few shots from this past summer's harvest for your amusement. All comments requested / appreciated.

This first one is the one I enjoy the most. Photographed under a covered patio with natural daylight and a polarizer to cut the glare on the surface of the tomato. There still seems to be more glare than I would like.
K10D DA*16-50 @ 50mm ISO100 f16 for 1 second

This next one I like conceptually but didn't quite work the way I wanted, yes there is a bit too much clutter behind the tomatoes, sure I should have used the polorizer to cut the glare on the tomatos but what I had most trouble with was whether or not I was getting enough depth of field. If I focused on the flag the tomatoes were way out of focus. If I stopped the lens down further then the light breeze started to blur things.

K10D DA16-45 @16mm ISO 200 f8 1/125 second

This last one is nothing special photographically, I'm just showing off my crop. The first round of several harvests. They are a Japanese variety known as the "Momotaro" pink skinned, juicy and very sweet. It takes about 3 quarts of tomatoes to make 1 quart of sauce. I ended up with about 16 quarts of sauce this season (not to mention all the were just eaten on the spot).

K10D DA* 16-50 @31mm ISO 100 f16 1.3 second

I hope you all like these as much as I do. Any comments on how to improve these images will be greatly appreciated and will likely be put to use next season.

Thank You,
Chris A. Kirk

12-14-2010, 09:14 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most outdoor photos of this type are usually better in early morning or late afternoon or at least on a hazy day. Thus the skylight is not so glaring. Otherwise get some kind of shade over the subject, like an umbrella, your shirt etc. Lots of info on the net about photo hints etc.
12-15-2010, 07:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Love that last shot, nice composition and a good looking group of tomatoes!
Regards!
12-15-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They are some healthy and flavoursome-looking tomatoes.
For critique, the setting and scene lighting should be considered to complement the subject matter.
#1 is a good, plain 'portrait', though could be improved with more textured directional lighting and a suitable setting for a background. Indeed the harsh sunlight with cast shadows made it difficult to get a decent shot in #2, and #3 is more a promotional image depicting all the fine tomatoes than a technically savvy produce shot.