Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2010, 01:37 PM   #1

Cobweb
Lens: Pentax A* Camera: Pentax K20D Photo Location: Wakefield, UK ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F8 

I am not very sure of what to make of this shot. I went out the other day to test my new (used) A*300 lens and took this shot because it looked interesting. See what you guys make of it because I don't really know . C&C welcome.
BTW the title is courtesy of my wife - she described it as such when she saw it first.
Cheers.

12-15-2010, 02:04 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A convoluted mess of bare branches in low sun.
The rendition is beautiful, but as an image, the result lacks something clear to focus the eyes on - no particular form or pattern, just a disarray of branches which are tough on the eyes.
12-17-2010, 08:24 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Your wife must see cobwebs as being very large. That kind of comparison is praiseworthy. You are a lucky man!
12-20-2010, 04:32 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks Ash and Sparkle for taking the time to comment and apologies for not responding earlier - too busy at work and home!
Do you think it would have been better if I had isolated it a bit more, i.e. got closer to the subject?
Cheers.

12-20-2010, 05:17 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like the tree and lot, and the background and lighting is very good. But I have to agree with the previous posters that it has too much confusion, it doesn't really tell the story that it has potential to tell.

As I see it you could go two different ways with this motive: You could go closer, like you suggest, and find a subset of branches that would provide a simpler more abstract composition and hopefully still maintaining the "cobweb" effect. If you do this, try to find an aperture that will keep all branches within the focus plane but still keep the background with smooth bokeh as it is now. Would be good to find some nicely diagonal lines to structure it - like the one you have coming in from the upper right corner atm, but it doesn't get enough attention with the current composition, I think.

Or you could back up, and get the whole tree with a bit of air around it. It would add a natural frame and make it easier on the eye, but it would alter the picture a lot of course - and I suppose it depends on the immediate surroundings of the tree whether it would work.
12-20-2010, 02:43 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks Mette. I'll visit the place again - it's very near my home but I hope I get similar light.
12-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #7
Inactive Account

All that really matters is that you like the photo. Copy it and crop about 60% off the bottom of the copy. It then looks even more tangled. Oh what a tangled web you weave when first you practice to crop!

« old man | Stranger »