Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2010, 12:24 PM   #1

First Snow, Lynchburg
Lens: Sigma 10-20 Camera: K20D Photo Location: Lynchburg VA ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F6.7 

Shot from across the James River onlooking Lynchburg. I am in a quandray about this photo, I like it because I think it looks cool, but is it a good photograph? Thats where I'm at. I appreciate and value any and all comments. Thanks y'all.
Gene

Attached Images

12-16-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unfortunately the subject "snow" appears difficult to capture or see in this area. Go North young man. LOL Is it a good photograph? Keep looking back on it as you keep looking at similar photos in the years ahead. Maybe it will not sell but it will create a "record" for you. It may look better if the bottom was cropped to the top of the ridge on the bottom right. However that removes a lot of the subject. The snow on the tops of the buildings etc is difficult to recognize. If you get a chance again, try catching the snow actually falling. Use a tripod and a remote release or some kind of rest and hold your breath while releasing the shutter. Use max aperture in landscape photography to get best possible focus and depth of field. Reflect some light back onto the bush on the bottom right. (The sun appears to be high on the left.) The ominous clouds seem to be accentuated as a result of a polarizer and conversion to B & W. That creates a bit of a contradiction to the after-the-fact quiet scene. Color mode may be better. Virginia is so beautiful. We loved our visit there.
12-16-2010, 06:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You seem to be caught in the middle here. The field in front is blocking the edge of the city. This causes a confusing separation between the two. Is this a shot of the field with a city in the background or a city with the edge of a field in the foreground? Make a choice.

To do so either you need more field and less city or more city and less field. You may find if you get closer to the edge of the field the image will work better, pushing down the fringe grass to a less predominant part of the image. The snow on the lower roadway at the edge of the city and on the roof tops will give the feeling of snow I think you wanted.
12-16-2010, 06:51 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I am afraid that there is nothing of interest in the foreground (weeds!), and the town is so far away that one cannot distinguish one building from another. If you want a photograph of the clouds, you don't need to include all that is on the ground as well. A simple profile of hills, mountains, buildings, or whatever will give some contrast to a cloud scene.

Also, as Sparkle pointed out, there is not much snow either.

12-16-2010, 08:30 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like it! The three layers--foreground, town and sky--are visually appealing and I feel drawn in (against my will because I'm cold-averse) toward the rich detail of the town.
12-16-2010, 09:20 PM   #6
Forum Member

Like others have said the snow isn't very pronounced if that's the subject of the photo, I thought it was sand at first!

Individually, I like each of the components, it probably just needs a crop.
12-16-2010, 09:47 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Technically this is a very good picture. The subject is just not super-interesting from this vantage point. I'm not sure you could improve on it that much given the location and conditions.

Paul

12-16-2010, 11:14 PM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As above, limited interest due to distracting foreground elements.
HDR effect also appears to cloud the contrast and B&W conversion may take away general feel of the environment.
12-16-2010, 11:39 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Excellent

This is an excellent contemporary landscape photograph. There is a lot to see at various planes of perception: the foreground, the city, the clouds, the snow. I feel like I am standing there with you.

Technically the B&W is nicely done: plenty of tones and depth. Consider lessening the sharpening--it seems oversharpened, but that adds to the visual interest so play around.

My only criticism is that the title may mislead some viewers, they are going to have to work a bit at finding it, but that is a way of getting folks to pay attention :ugh:.

Nice work Gene. I'd hang this one.

M
12-17-2010, 07:33 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks y'all. Having seen all your photos it means alot getting the advice and encouragement that I received here