Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2010, 02:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glow
Lens: M50/1.7 Camera: K-x ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F2 

Strong sunlight was coming in through the window and I noticed how beautifully our beige carpet was acting as a reflector so I ran to get the camera Here is the result:

12-18-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Well done! Would be better with the left side cropped close to his arm. Cute!
12-18-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautifully textured result.
Looks like something only a softbox could have produced.
12-19-2010, 06:32 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Very nice capture, one you will love as you both grow older.

A little crop and it is outstanding.

12-19-2010, 06:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Precious.

Do crop indeed.
12-19-2010, 06:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Looks like a "cinematic" result! Any PP on the eyes? They look brilliant.
12-19-2010, 07:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Great shot!!!

12-19-2010, 07:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all for the encouraging comments! Appreciate it. As for the crop, do you mean a 1x1 ratio? I suppose that'd help. Just never thought of it.

No PP on the eyes other than a overall sharpness bump on the whole photo.
12-20-2010, 04:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Very cute, and great eyes. Speaking as a fellow beige carpet owner you must have a really really reflective carpet
12-20-2010, 07:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Haha, the carpet isn't so reflective, but the sun coming in was just so strong and the rest of the room wasn't lit at all, so that accentuated the bounced light.
12-20-2010, 03:16 PM   #11
Inactive Account

In follow-up to your query, try a tight crop with about 1/2 inch off the right and 3 inches off the left. You will end up with about 6.5 inches wide and 7 inches high.
12-21-2010, 08:31 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Voytech Quote
Thanks all for the encouraging comments! Appreciate it. As for the crop, do you mean a 1x1 ratio? I suppose that'd help. Just never thought of it.

No PP on the eyes other than a overall sharpness bump on the whole photo.
Beautiful photo Voytech. As for crop... not sure. I am a fan of the 2:3 ratio and maintaining it if possible. Cropping that ratio here ostensibly to remove the perceived dead space would result in removing too much of the upper body.

So let me back into this... Basically, cropping is a tool that allows you to eliminate distracting or unwanted scene elements, to straighten a tilted horizon, to alter the center of interest, or to strengthen leading lines. Let's just start with these motivations...

I see nothing distracting in the space to crop. I suppose that some will say there is simply too much of it. OK, we'll talk about that in minute.

There is no tilted horizon. The center of interest is nicely placed right of center, which given the direction of the gaze works perfectly for me. If the proposition is to crop in order to clarify the center of interest, I would answer that there is absolutely no question as to what the center of interest is.

As for leading lines, the carpet in the background actually does subtly form decent leading lines. It is not entirely dead space.

For me, a crop might lose something here. If I was going to suggest a crop, it would be a 4:5 (8x10). I would qualify that with saying you ought to keep the current ratios intact with respect generally to the placement of the child in the frame, as it is good as is. This crop would answer to the perceived need to remove "excess" or "dead" background, and would address the issue of losing too much upper body with a 2:3 crop.

It would also add the ability to easily frame the shot. This one would definitely be on my desk at work.

I am not a big fan of 1:1. I think you'd find it flattens the overall effect of this photo.

I've seen enough of your stuff to know that you have a good eye for composition. By all means, play with a crop, but also trust yourself a little and when deciding consider if there is something in this that is lost through the proposed crop. You were working with a 2:3 ratio. My feeling is that in that "box" you nailed this one. As such I like it as it is.

The eyes and lips are very sharp as far as I can tell. If this is maintained in the larger formats I would not touch sharpness. The slight and progressive softness elsewhere on the child enhances the magic that ** is ** this photo.

Again, beautiful photo.

woof!
12-21-2010, 09:05 AM   #13
Inactive Account

My practice is simply to copy a photo, crop it, remove the crop if I don't like it and try another. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. No harm done.
12-21-2010, 09:07 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Oh, BTW, I just slide the photos on here around my monitor to see how they look. Easiest crop off all.
12-21-2010, 09:57 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Woof,

Thank you for your insights. I tend to share your sentiment. The photo was taken in 3:2 and framed for 3:2. I took some precautions to avoid distracting backgrounds (which can be a challenge indoors). I didn't plan for the diagonal line of the carpet to lead to his eye, but I like that it does.

I did try to crop the image as suggested and found the subject "cramped". I'm not sure why (probably just my own taste), but I like a lot of breathing room.

Either way, I appreciate you all critiquing my work I'm very appreciative of that.