Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2010, 11:13 PM   #1

Ames Masion During Fall
Lens: 18-55mm Canon Kit Lens Camera: Canon 350D Photo Location: Easton, MA ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F11 

Hey everyone, I am hoping to get some feedback on this shot I am thinking about entering into a local contest. The contest is for inclusion in a calendar that a local State Park is going to be putting out. They are looking for pictures of the grounds that showcase some of the interesting features of the park. I chose this mansion with a backdrop of fall foliage. Please let me know if there is anything I can or should do to make this better. I would also like your opinion on whether or not you would enter this into the contest (I probably am either way but would like the feedback).
Thanks!

edit: perhaps this should be in the landscape category...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT  Photo 

Last edited by SharonPhotoGuy; 12-18-2010 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Wrong Category
12-18-2010, 11:47 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would crop off almost all the foreground grass.
Also level the building.
The vantage point being down the slope means you can't see the base of the building, which is a little troublesome.
12-19-2010, 12:30 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Architecture is a tough category for photography. An adjustable Tilt and Shift Lens is required to get the horizontals level and verticals straight. One would expect keen competition in this calender event. Usually no feedback is provided so nothing is gained unless one wins. To my eye there is nothing special about this photograph. Nothing stands out and makes one look at it for any time, especially a month. SpecialK has made some correct observations, in my opinion. Keep practicing and studying the Art of Photography but don't enter this one in the competition. Season's Greetings.
12-19-2010, 04:33 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This image features an ordinary building set upon a relatively ordinary settings lit by ordinary light. The question you should ask yourself when considering your images for any competition is: "Have I captured my subject in the most flattering and creative way possible?" If not, then find the ways in order to make it happen for the entry to stand out amongst the rest.

In this regard, I would not enter this particular image, but conceivably the same building could be shot again from a better vantage point, perhaps with a wider angle lens but still filling the frame with the building, and utilising the late afternoon sun to create a more dramatic sky to complement the landscape. Hope this helps.

12-21-2010, 06:58 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I'm surprised so many people are discouraging you from entering your picture - I'm not sure what the downside is. Do you have to pay to enter?

You might experiment with some perspective control, and try to level the building.

Paul
12-21-2010, 09:00 PM   #6

Original Poster
There are some helpful comments here, thank you. I have only been into photography as a hobby for several months so I am certainly under no delusions that one of my first photos would win a contest. I am rather unimpressed with the picture as currently composed but given that this contest started in mid-september, the likelyhood that there have been many fall month submissions to compete against is probably low as this hasn't been advertised well. As I mentioned, I am probably going to submit the picture and see what happens. I am also thinking about taking some winter shots (we just got our first snowfall today) and I will try to incorporate some of your suggestions. Any idea where I can rent a tilt-shift lens? And aren't they difficult to use properly?
Thanks again for the advice.
12-21-2010, 10:46 PM   #7
Inactive Account

They are fairly rare but Camera Dealers in your area should be able to get one to rent. Check your Yellow Pages and the Web. Cost to buy is about $700.00. You must use a tripod and you do need patience to get the verticals upright and horizontals level. A good tripod with bubble levels or attachable bubble levels will do without the Tilt/Shift lens. Good equipment is one aspect; how to use it another; then composition etc. but hard work is the hallmark of good photography.