Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2010, 11:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
One Accident and One planned exposure
Lens: sigma 18-70 Camera: k-x 

Some of my kids at school had a Christmas musical yesterday. They got all dressed up so I figured I'd pull out the camera. The first picture was taken from my hip accidentally while I was trying to figure out how to fire the flash on wireless mode. The second pic was obviously planned. It took several attempts but I'm happy with it. This is my first photo post so go easy on me, but I really like the accident for some reason.

12-21-2010, 11:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
but I really like the accident for some reason
I like it too.

On the second, I would like to see the violin's scroll and pegs on the composition.

Well, you ask for it, so take it or ignore it.
12-21-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
after i shot it i realized it might have been better if i was looking "down the barrel" of the violin with the pegs at the front of the shot.
i guess i should add that i increased the black point in the images, not sure if that's cheating.
12-21-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like the first one and agree that having the whole violin in the shot would have been better. The lighting on her hair is especially nice I think.

12-21-2010, 01:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
i increased the black point in the images, not sure if that's cheating.
Not at all. Do as you please. Photos are supposed to be processed at will.
12-21-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
Inactive Account

My view, for what it is worth, is that Post Processing should not be confused with good photography. The second photo was planned, is very over exposed (and the PP is too dark), so I'm tough! It is great that you are honest. So back to the study of technique. The lucky shot is, to my eye, better composed and exposed. It tells the story. (However the bow should be held on or near the frog with the little finger touching for balance.) If you straighten the lucky shot it should appear better. I tried to take your advice, "...go easy on me." I hope you do a better job of taking mine! Season's Greetings and post more in the new year.
12-21-2010, 02:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

hey Sparkle, your remarks are really interesting. If you think you're funny and you like to make people laugh, you are still a long way from earning a living as a comedian. Perhaps you should go back to the study of the technique.

12-21-2010, 03:37 PM   #8
Inactive Account

"Physician, heal thyself." (Hebrew Proverb)
12-21-2010, 04:50 PM   #9

#1 is better IMO but, to tell the truth it is all about the very simple question " who is the hero of an image ". I can not see from the pic #2 what you want to depict and what is important to you. I would not get worried too much about "accidental approach" Just look at Mark Chagall's work everything is planed-accidental! and he is an artist not photographer.
12-21-2010, 05:22 PM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The accident turned out a better shot also IMO.
The composition is more pleasing visually and less flat/boring than #2.
12-21-2010, 08:19 PM   #11
Pentaxian

The second one suffers from "head-in-center syndrome" and therefore the composition suffers. Maybe cropping off a good bit of the left and coming down to the top of her head would balance it better. I think the exposure is fine, though.

I find the first one more interesting, but still the composition and cropping is a bit awkward.
12-21-2010, 08:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I like the first one better as well. I think what makes a violin picture interesting is the delicate positioning of fingers (both ends). Since that is totally absent from the second pic, it feels 'cut'.
12-22-2010, 01:02 AM   #13

I don't like the second photo for one big reason:

It makes the little girl look like a little girl.

You shot down at her, which does not really work here at all. I would try to get at least eye level with her, even if it means getting down on my knees.

Secondly, I don't expect anyone to show me mercy when I post something on the Critique forum, so why should you ask for someone to "show you mercy?"

Learning takes place outside of the comfort zone.
12-22-2010, 03:30 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
"Physician, heal thyself." (Hebrew Proverb)
Good point.

I've tried the healing brush but I'm not sure I did get it right; but if I got that would be a nice work, if I get it.

Also, I'm been fiddling with my monitor brightness from about the last 60 years or so. I think I have to calibrate that again sometime in the near future. Maybe I will buy a new one for this season greetings, so I've no more complains with crops, flat tops, clutter and such annoyances. Problem is, I'm saving to buy one more tripod because it's very windy around here and I really need one to improve my composition. So guess Ash said it all.

Thank you for your proverbial insight, Adonai.
12-22-2010, 06:52 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I find the first one more interesting, but still the composition and cropping is a bit awkward
i didn't crop it. that's how it came out.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
The composition is more pleasing visually and less flat/boring than #2.
what are some techniques that are used to prevent that flatness. one of the reasons that i posted the first one was becasue of the warm feel it had to it.