Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2010, 04:13 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Is there any improvements?
Lens: D-FA 50mm Macro Camera: K-7 Photo Location: Melbourne ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/8s Aperture: F8 

Hi Everyone,

Now I want to show you two shots I just took this afternoon. From my previous post here, I've tried several tips from them, e.g using flash, tripods, expose more on the background, and enhance colour a bit.

So, now I want to see whethere there are improvements on my Macro shots . I will attach small res pictures on this post and if you want to see the full size image, please click on these links:

Buds

Insects

I really really appreciate your time and critiques on my works. Thanks a bunch, Merry Christmas and happy new year for you all. Wish you all the best for next year.

Regards,
Ito

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
12-22-2010, 04:23 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Firstly, it appears that you may have some dust on your sensor.
Your choice of lighting is producing quite appealing results here, particularly in #2.
You've managed to capture these little bugs sharply and rendered in relatively nice lighting effects.
#1 is a little flat on the other hand, and not as sharply focused.
Framing is another issue. Central arrangement of your subject is not as interesting as a more dynamic composition utilising the entire frame for your subjects and complementary backgrounds.
12-22-2010, 06:00 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Yeap...you're right. Cleaned already, bit surprise when I saw the pictures though :-)

For the #1 picture, I admit that it is really plain and flat...I was trying to find my Gorillapod, but couldn't find it until I got home :-( what a pain. So I was using my "gigantic" tripod instead, very difficult to find the angle with that. There it goes, a plain shot :-(

for framing, I think I really need more pratice in understanding this came from landscape photography where framing is much easier I think

Thanks Ash.
12-23-2010, 01:46 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bang_ito Quote
For the #1 picture, I admit that it is really plain and flat
First a general plea: It really helps if people seeking critique simply post their self-assessed best work, so we don't end up providing redundant, non-value-added information. Plus I'd rather look at (and critique) someone's A photos rather than their B photos.

I like the colors of the first shot. I'm surprised it was not sharp considering you used a tripod and f8.

The second shot has nice colors as well. It's fairly interesting. A few major improvements to me:

1. I would provide more diffused lighting on the right side of the frame.

2. More diffused lighting in general, there is too much glare around the insects which is the central focus of the shot.

3. The brown leaf rot to the left and above the insects is unartful. Great macros demand attention be paid to all details, especially in areas adjacent to the sweet spot of the photo. So I'd cut that stuff away prior or consign the photo to my "nice try" pile.

4. There is a little too much negative space on the right side, about 30%. I would crop that away or vertically frame the shot.

Hope this helps.

M