Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2010, 03:15 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Kata Tjuta
Lens: DAL 18-55 3.5-5.6 Camera: K-x Photo Location: Northern Territory, Australia ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F11 

First posting, so any comments or suggestions for improvement are very welcome.

I don't know why I like this photo; maybe the haze and the resulting surreal feeling and distance to the formation it implies. Who knows...

I know the tree in the lower left foreground is distracting, but I don't know what to do about it.

12-22-2010, 03:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Your right about the tree. I'd crop out about a third of the tree giving the photo more of a panorama look. My other suggestion would be to move the highest peak from the center of the frame.
It's a beautiful location, one you can photograph again and again in different light and weather.
12-22-2010, 04:03 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The high perspective works well, but it's clear the bottom left tree is fighting for attention in the frame.
If you'd have moved in closer to the mountains, just in front of that tree you may have been able to eliminate the distractor without needing to crop the image.
The cloud highlights are burnt out and the RAW image (if available) could do with some highlight recovery.
12-22-2010, 04:25 PM   #4
Inactive Account

In my opinion also, cropping as suggested will provide a nice panoramic photo and fix the tree problem. The clouds as they are depict a relaxed scene to which you referred in different words. Accentuating them would, in my opinion, spoil the ambiance.

Last edited by Sparkle; 12-23-2010 at 06:47 AM. Reason: to add a comma
12-23-2010, 05:54 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for all the suggestions. I played around with the RAW file some more. Here it is cropped, cloud highlights reduced some, and slightly sharpened.

12-23-2010, 06:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Nice.

Looks great.

But it needs to look great to your eye not mine.

If I can preach for a moment...The goal of a Critique section is to share ideas on what makes a good photo and how to capture it. Then we can all go back out there as photographers and distill that discussion into what we see through our lenses. My key thought when I look through the lens, even if it is a panoramic photo like this one is, "what am I taking a picture of?" In this case I would have been shooting the highest peak and would have composed the shot around it in the viewfinder. If you just shoot "those pretty mountains" its hard to make the correct critical judgments on composition.

Good Luck
joe

Last edited by joelovotti; 12-23-2010 at 06:24 AM.
12-23-2010, 06:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I just took one last look at your new cropped and adjusted photo and I really like it.

Moving the highest peak to the left combined with the crop give the mountains a beautiful flowing look from left to right almost like rolling waves.

12-23-2010, 06:29 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joelovotti Quote

If I can preach for a moment...The goal of a Critique section is to share ideas on what makes a good photo and how to capture it. Then we can all go back out there as photographers and distill that discussion into what we see through our lenses. My key thought when I look through the lens, even if it is a panoramic photo like this one is, "what am I taking a picture of?" In this case I would have been shooting the highest peak and would have composed the shot around it in the viewfinder. If you just shoot "those pretty mountains" its hard to make the correct critical judgments on composition.
I cannot disagree with anything you said. Thanks for all the feedback everyone.
12-23-2010, 06:51 AM   #9
Inactive Account

The crop is good IMO. The sky, clouds and mountains, IMO, should have remained the same colour.
12-23-2010, 08:48 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
The sky, clouds and mountains, IMO, should have remained the same colour.
Good point, and fixed. My PP skills are sorta haphazard at this point. But I guess that's a topic for another forum.
12-23-2010, 09:08 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Glad you agree. Happy to help. Enjoy the holidays.
12-23-2010, 01:15 PM   #12
Inactive Account

I would try also a square crop. The trees would propably show well the distance to the mountains.
12-24-2010, 05:09 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Myn.pheos Quote
I would try also a square crop. The trees would propably show well the distance to the mountains.
I never thought of doing a square crop. It seemed counterintuitive for a landscape. But I gave it a shot, and I kind of like it. Dakujem!

12-30-2010, 06:31 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Just about there, mate. Now take out about half the sky and about 25% of the foreground and you'd have a fully developed subject, IMHO. As it stands, for me there's too much sky. The colour of the rocks is quite subtle and the rather vivid sky tends to outdo them. A touch of Fill Light in ACR or whatever you have might help with the mountains, followed by a smidgin of desaturation for the sky.
Magic country, eh.

Last edited by Wombat; 12-30-2010 at 06:37 AM.