Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-25-2010, 03:44 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
What they are talking about, Sir, is a superconductive material.

Not only is graphene the thinnest possible material that is feasible, but it's also about 200 times stronger than steel.

Hope you will have a good sleep madam.

12-25-2010, 07:07 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Some people simply carry too much baggage to to be able to see clearly.

It is a sad state of affairs when one is beyond help.
12-25-2010, 07:27 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Mods...if you are out there, notice how old Rupert was a "good boy" and kept his big mouth shut....so give me some "Reputation"! I have blood running down my chin from biting my lips, but I remained near silent........who says I can't exercise self-restraint!

Best Regards to all!
Rupert
12-26-2010, 01:37 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Nice job Rupert. Without distracting from your fine adjustments, your image is exactly what I had in mind.

It takes two to tangle of course but as a lifelong teacher, among other professions, and as a female, I must try to make my point.
For Manel's benefit, I again explain; I'm referring to a strand, an elongated tiny, extremely strong string; you Manel, Sir, (can't resist LOL) are referencing a tiny web or mesh which will possibly replace materials presently used as microchips. The difference is very substantial.

12-26-2010, 02:27 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I'm referring to a strand, an elongated tiny, extremely strong string; you Manel, Sir, (can't resist LOL) are referencing a tiny web or mesh which will possibly replace materials presently used as microchips. The difference is very substantial.
You are helpless, milady. And if you are indeed a teacher, it seems that you are a wrong-headed one.

Since you're carrying such a pigheaded little baggage, you can now go back to your sow's ears and silky purses.

Hoping you will keep amusing us with your interesting commentary.
12-26-2010, 02:28 AM   #21
Forum Member

Seeing as this is shot at 18mm and f16, the problem is most likely not focus, but diffraction. As you stop down past f8, the image starts to soften up from diffraction. Only use smaller apertures with situations where you absolutely need the extra depth of field. with the great depth of field you get in an 18mm lens, you only need to stop down to f5.6-8 for a landscape shot like that.
12-26-2010, 02:49 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Impossible to learn or to be pleasant

QuoteOriginally posted by Manel Brand Quote
You are helpless, milady. And if you are indeed a teacher, it seems that you are a wrong-headed one.

Since you're carrying such a pigheaded little baggage, you can now go back to your sow's ears and silky purses.

Hoping you will keep amusing us with your interesting commentary.
Seems you neither went to school nor learned any manners.

So keep off my case. I never want to read your comments or about you again.

12-26-2010, 01:38 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I am not familiar with the properties of diffraction, or how it works beyond a certain point in your settings, but I seldom go past F9 for Landscapes for fear of that issue. This was at F9 Tammy 18-250 @ 35mm 1/60 ISO 200 and I was amazed that when viewed at full size I could see the nail heads in the wood clearly.

Is diffraction lens related or is it universal?
Best Regards!

BTW- Stop that arguing! You guys are going to get old Rupert in trouble! Doesn't look like it is a life changing subject anyhow.......is it? Just saying........
12-27-2010, 06:09 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Diffraction is a universal phenomena. No point in getting into the physics of it but it increases as the aperture (the opening) becomes smaller. The usual problem is in mixed nomenclature. Some people's (as Super A, above) reference to "stooping down" is interpreted by others as making the f number lower. That increases the aperture or hole. It is by using higher f numbers (also interpreted as "stopping down") the hole gets smaller, the Depth of Field increases as does "diffraction". Your f 9 produced a fine photograph. A higher f number would increase Diffraction. How much is acceptable is for a viewer, including of course the photographer, to decide. Most "point and shoot" cameras are set at f 8. Hope this helps.
12-27-2010, 09:39 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Thanks, I do understand the stopping down and expectant results of different aperture settings, but was curious if different lenses have different reactions in regards to diffusion. Apparently not? Is that correct?
Best Regards!
12-29-2010, 07:30 AM   #26
Veteran Member

The actual scene is very attractive - tranquil, evocative. For my money I'd clone those birds out and just stay with the landscape. The birds are just too far gone to salvage but the rest of it is very pleasing.
12-29-2010, 08:13 AM   #27
Inactive Account

Diffusion

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Thanks, I do understand the stopping down and expectant results of different aperture settings, but was curious if different lenses have different reactions in regards to diffusion. Apparently not? Is that correct?
Best Regards!
That is what I remember and I still have a fairly good memory...but it is short. LOL
12-29-2010, 11:59 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@Rupert - Nobody seems to want to provide a direct answer to your question so I'll try:

1) Yes, diffraction is a physical property of light passing a barrier that is universal.

2) Yes, different lenses will begin showing diffraction effects at different aperture values but it universally becomes more noticeable with smaller diameter aperture openings. For example, it has been shown that the newer DA type lenses made for the digital sensors show diffraction effects at larger apertures than older lenses made for celluloid film.

Jack
12-29-2010, 01:17 PM   #29
Banned

Diffraction is a universal phenomena. No point in getting into the physics of it but it increases as the aperture (the opening) becomes smaller. The usual problem is in mixed nomenclature. Some people's (as Super A, above) reference to "stooping down" is interpreted by others as making the f number lower. That increases the aperture or hole. It is by using higher f numbers (also interpreted as "stopping down") the hole gets smaller, the Depth of Field increases as does "diffraction". Your f 9 produced a fine photograph. A higher f number would increase Diffraction. How much is acceptable is for a viewer, including of course the photographer, to decide. Most "point and shoot" cameras are set at f 8. Hope this helps.
Obviously attended a feast of knowledge and devoured a few crumbs,I do not know where you popped up from but you seem to have your finger in every pie on this forum,please back off and refrain from your annoying comments.Speaking of pies,is there not something you could be doing in the kitchen?.