Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2010, 02:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

A recent shot
Lens: F 50 f/1.7 Camera: K20D ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F1.7 

Hey guys, here I have another portrait of a friend that I'm rather fond of, I'd like to know what you guys think of the post processing. Also, how do you feel about the borders? Thanks!

And perhaps to spark some discussion, I'd been following a fellow's portrait 365, and I think his results are quite extraordinary. After I finished processing this shot, I realized that the look I achieved is somewhat similar (even the borders, I never really noticed that he simply makes it square, I was doing it for simplicity), although his work seems more refined. How do you guys think he gets that look? (full frame and L glass or equivalent probably helps )

365 / 2010 - a set on Flickr

12-28-2010, 02:24 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wshi Quote
Hey guys, here I have another portrait of a friend that I'm rather fond of, I'd like to know what you guys think of the post processing. Also, how do you feel about the borders? Thanks!

And perhaps to spark some discussion, I'd been following a fellow's portrait 365, and I think his results are quite extraordinary. After I finished processing this shot, I realized that the look I achieved is somewhat similar (even the borders, I never really noticed that he simply makes it square, I was doing it for simplicity), although his work seems more refined. How do you guys think he gets that look? (full frame and L glass or equivalent probably helps )

365 / 2010 - a set on Flickr

Here is what I think:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/41-photo-critique/79146d1293528010-people-recent-shot-portrait-.jpg
Attached Images

12-28-2010, 02:25 AM   #3
Inactive Account

The second is my quick PP image.
12-28-2010, 11:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Interesting interpretation... uh... any particular reasoning behind it? Thanks.

12-29-2010, 12:04 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The shot seems more like a snapshot and less like a portrait to me. When the subject is shot at that angle and taking up only 65% of the frame, the remainder of the frame becomes more important. It looks like a bedroom door--and the connotations are simply informal.

I also don't like the black borders--it looks like either an affectation, or a perceptual trick to "fix" a problematic aspect ratio (and I know that's not the case here, but that's what it looks like).

The white balance is a little too florescent cast for my tastes. But I do like the subject's smile and overall look. I wish you didn't crop that 1% off the top the head.

Hope this helps.

M
12-29-2010, 02:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
The shot seems more like a snapshot and less like a portrait to me. When the subject is shot at that angle and taking up only 65% of the frame, the remainder of the frame becomes more important. It looks like a bedroom door--and the connotations are simply informal.

I also don't like the black borders--it looks like either an affectation, or a perceptual trick to "fix" a problematic aspect ratio (and I know that's not the case here, but that's what it looks like).

The white balance is a little too florescent cast for my tastes. But I do like the subject's smile and overall look. I wish you didn't crop that 1% off the top the head.

Hope this helps.

M
Thanks a lot for your insight. Indeed, it's not a formal shot whatsoever. I'm a bit iffy on the black borders too, but for some reason I kinda like them. I guess time will tell how my own perceptions change.

You're very much correct on the white balance being skewed slightly towards the greens, and that was what I was kinda going for.
12-30-2010, 04:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like it, nice natural expression of a real woman. Love her closest eye through the glasses frame. I suppose the DOF might be a little small, perhaps the other eye should also be in focus. It might be possibly a tad underexposed.

I don't think much of the 2nd version, the crop is accceptable (although I prefer the original), but the blown out forehead/nose/lips don't seem to serve any purpose.

01-03-2011, 07:17 PM   #8

I feel as if the borders are too much if you're gonna leave it as is. For me, without the tag (like on that guy's flickr) it takes too much attention away from the actual photo.

I cut the border down a bit and did a little editing here

But I'd still say that the tag + caption really made that style. It's not doing much for me as is. Nice shot nonetheless.
01-03-2011, 08:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

personally..I dont like the borders...but that me..another bloke my luv em.

as for the image....for a Portrait, i reckon you have gone for too small a DOF considering you friends pose , i would have liked to seen her left eye and cheek in focus
01-04-2011, 07:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Look for "catch lights" in your subject's eyes. It's really really hard to find a nice portrait without some kind of catchlight. Give more distance from subject to background, it will blur even more and you'll be able to stop down to f/2.8 to get more of her face in focus without having a distracting background. I'd work towards finding some more flattering (diffused/softer) light so you expose for skin properly without losing too much on highlights. Indoor light at night tends to look like...indoor light at night which looks worse in photos than when you are there in the scene. The green tint isn't flattering, nor are fairly high saturation levels on portraits (watch your reds, especially).

Not all of his work is with L glass (or even super-fast lenses), but it's good equipment nonetheless. Full frame definitely changes aspect towards shallow DOF, but a fairly fast prime on APS-C is a good substitute if you are careful about how you compose the scene. Look at the light on the faces, especially the lack of "hotspots" and you'll realize why shade is better than out in bright sunlight.