Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2010, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Missed focus
Lens: FA 50mm f/1.4 Camera: K-x Photo Location: Home ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F1.8 

One of my Christmas presents this year was the FA 50mm 1.4. It's a lot of fun, but with such a shallow depth of field at wide apertures I'm realizing it's easy to miss getting a good, sharp focus in the right area. Here's an example of where I missed keeping my son's eyes in focus. BTW, he wasn't thrilled I was taking a picture of him wearing his new hat. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to take a slightly out of focus shot like this one and make it look "creative or artistic" for a lack of a better way of putting that. I missed getting another shot since he'd already ripped the hat off and was looking for something else to unwrap.

Thanks!

Attached Images

12-28-2010, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BlueBubbleBoy Quote
...he wasn't thrilled I was taking a picture of him wearing his new hat.
Nice hat and a beautiful child!

I gave it a shot...

Last edited by Manel Brand; 05-10-2011 at 12:24 PM.
12-28-2010, 08:19 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Sharpness has become really (over) important post pixel-peeping era. In film days, people actually used to like softer portraits.
A nice memory is a nice picture - regardless of whether it is the sharpest or not. Looks like a good pic to me.
12-28-2010, 09:22 PM   #4
Inactive Account

One of my Christmas presents this year was the FA 50mm 1.4. It's a lot of fun, but with such a shallow depth of field at wide apertures I'm realizing it's easy to miss getting a good, sharp focus in the right area. Here's an example of where I missed keeping my son's eyes in focus. BTW, he wasn't thrilled I was taking a picture of him wearing his new hat. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to take a slightly out of focus shot like this one and make it look "creative or artistic" for a lack of a better way of putting that. I missed getting another shot since he'd already ripped the hat off and was looking for something else to unwrap.

Thanks!

Attached Images

12-28-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Just a quick attempt.
12-28-2010, 11:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

pointillism?
12-29-2010, 07:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dexmus Quote
Sharpness has become really (over) important post pixel-peeping era. In film days, people actually used to like softer portraits.
A nice memory is a nice picture - regardless of whether it is the sharpest or not. Looks like a good pic to me.
Like the man said.
12-29-2010, 08:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Manel Brand Quote
Nice hat and a beautiful child!

I gave it a shot...
Thanks Manel! I like the darker tones you introduced while leaving the face brighter and drawing attention. Also, thanks for the complement on my son. I kind of like him!

QuoteOriginally posted by dexmus Quote
Thank you for that good point dexmus. I'm glad to have caught the memory.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
Just a quick attempt.
Thank you for that idea, Sparkle!

QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote

pointillism?
Thanks icywarm, definitely much different than I would have come up with.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wombat Quote
Like the man said.
Thanks Wombat, I do think that's a really good point.

12-29-2010, 10:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Glad you like it. Cheers.
12-29-2010, 11:45 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums

Thanks!
Focus Magic, $45 Shareware, can correct out-of-focus images by deconvolution. I applied it to the photo you posted. More subtle adjustments could be made if you think this result is too harsh. It is easy to use.

It works standalone or as a plug-in. As a plug-in, focus correction can be applied to selected portions of a photo.

Dave
12-29-2010, 11:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I went weird... but really I didn't mind it as a soft image...
01-02-2011, 12:06 AM   #12

I really like what Manel did. I took it another step and converted to b&W, however I still think I like Manel's best.
Enjoy your new gift, my 50mm rarely leaves my camera. You had a tough job to do catching him with sharp focus at 1/60 and 1.8. He is a cutie and I love the hat.
Attached Images

01-02-2011, 06:34 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Next time, rotate through a bit of focus and spray off 3-5 frames. Any stigma with being an "amateur" if someone has the gall to call you that (or you feel that way yourself right now) will quickly be nullified once you come back to your computer and can make a sharp print.

You also generally have some leeway on finding the best expression if you do this regularly, too.
01-03-2011, 03:46 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
Focus Magic, $45 Shareware, can correct out-of-focus images by deconvolution. I applied it to the photo you posted. More subtle adjustments could be made if you think this result is too harsh. It is easy to use.

It works standalone or as a plug-in. As a plug-in, focus correction can be applied to selected portions of a photo.

Dave
Thank you for suggesting that and the example, Dave. Looks good.

QuoteOriginally posted by Framed Quote
I really like what Manel did. I took it another step and converted to b&W, however I still think I like Manel's best.
Enjoy your new gift, my 50mm rarely leaves my camera. You had a tough job to do catching him with sharp focus at 1/60 and 1.8. He is a cutie and I love the hat.
I also like what Manel did, but I like your idea of the B&W too. I really do enjoy that lens and will be using it a lot. Thanks for the compliment on my son too.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fixcinater Quote
Next time, rotate through a bit of focus and spray off 3-5 frames. Any stigma with being an "amateur" if someone has the gall to call you that (or you feel that way yourself right now) will quickly be nullified once you come back to your computer and can make a sharp print.

You also generally have some leeway on finding the best expression if you do this regularly, too.
That's a very good point and one that I often forget to do, especially when I'm trying to capture images of my active kids. Thank you!
01-03-2011, 04:00 PM   #15
Banned

Atrocious!