Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2010, 09:39 AM   #1

River, in Winter, With Snow
Lens: Sigma 24-60 f/2.8 @24 Camera: kx Photo Location: Jackson ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F6.7 

Hello,
Attached is a photo that I view to be one of my favorites. I think its well done technically too; although that is what I'm looking forward to comments on.

(Edit - FIXED!)

Last edited by jk333; 12-29-2010 at 12:31 PM. Reason: see above
12-29-2010, 02:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's hard to comment when you identify it as one of your favorites but here goes.

To me it needs cropping. Either from the top or the bottom, your pick but when I crop it on my screen it becomes a little more alive. To me it's a question of subject. If is a photo of the stream, Id crop the sky a bit, if its a photo of the winter seen Id crop the stream a bit.

I'm not an expert on B&W conversions but this one looks a little flat to me. Maybe a split tone treatment would help but I'd like to see some more tonality.

What's nice about this photo is it can be treated a number of different ways and since it's one of your favorites that allows for spending lots of time with it.

be well,
joe
12-29-2010, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm happy to know that it is one of your favorites; that way I can assume that it is one of your personal best and you are not asking me to comment on work you know is flawed.

Why is this one of your favorites?

This is a color photograph, no? While I like the contrast a lot, I'd recommend a black and white version for a starker look.

This seems like a lovely place to have been photographing at. But I'm just not feeling the power of the place in this photograph. Part of the problem is that big view shots like this really need to be seen in a very large frame. They lose their impact when reduced to a 4-inch attachment window.

I'm also not drawn into the photograph; it's a pretty scene but nothing is all that compelling. Having a driveway and house to the left makes it seem like an ordinary creek and you stopped on the bridge to take the shot.

I don't think any amount of cropping or technical tricks will change this significantly. Again, a nice shot, but my socks are still on.

M
12-29-2010, 06:36 PM   #4

Original Poster
Good stuff so far... I wouldn't have put it in for critique if I didn't want criticism!, go to town.

Anyway, I don't think I can crop the road because it keeps the photo balanced. Without the left side it loses all of its balance which is what I like. I like that its the woods and a stream after a snowfall. And its goes on forever into the woods. Winter reigns supreme, if you will.

Its interesting to me that others don't get that vibe. Perhaps I do need to crop the bottom of the river a bit. Its possible that a criticism is that there is not central subject but... i mean... its supposed to be a winter scene. Part of the point is that its desolate.

Soooo... How about this...

12-29-2010, 06:43 PM   #5

Original Poster

Hmmm. Well... it looks different. I'll work with it.
12-29-2010, 07:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I like this one much more.
With less water in the foreground I am drawn down the stream.
Loosing the road to the left made a big difference as well.
Beautiful.
12-29-2010, 07:56 PM   #7
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd prefer to retain the flat rocks in the original version's foreground while cropping from the left of the original photo.

Attached Images

12-30-2010, 09:24 AM   #8

FWIW, I like the the first one you posted but I *really* like the second! It impacted immediately with a "ooh, wish I was there" response.
01-02-2011, 06:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

SMF wins the cropping game. Vast improvement over original.

Seeing it very large would help.
01-02-2011, 10:00 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for the help in this thread! Good advice
01-03-2011, 05:09 AM   #11
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are most welcome. Thanks for posting your photo. Happy new year.
Stu