Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2010, 06:58 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Honest opinions on technical aspects
ISO: 3200 

I would appreciate honest critiques on the following two photos. Not so much the subject itself, but the IQ, color, bokeh, sharpness, and noise levels.

Feel free to dis the cat as much as you like :-)

Both are:
Pentax Kx with kit 18-55
ISO 3200
f 6.7
Tv 1/8
55mm
slight WB adjusting

the first one has 100% noise reduction in PSE 9.0

the second one has 50% noise reduction, different WB

Attached Images

12-29-2010, 09:12 PM   #2

Pentexan: Your shots of the cat seem sharp and quite clean to me!

They remind me of our old cat of 18 years "Frank" who recently passed away.

Good shots.
12-29-2010, 10:26 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well, I was going to say.. they look a bit soft. But, I like #2 better because it looks sharper.
12-29-2010, 10:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the colour looks warm and very soothing .. noise levels in both are very good..the first image is ever so slightly softer than the second..so Id choose No 2 ....the bokeh is pleasant....the limited DOF at F 6.7 would suggest that you were very close to the cat...nice shot..nice cat

12-30-2010, 03:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Bokeh, noise and colour are all very good. I can barely see any difference between them but I suppose 2 might be ever so slightly sharper. Both images are too soft though. I suppose that might be partially a result of using the kit lens at 55mm.
12-30-2010, 04:29 AM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There may well be a loss of contrast in #1 as compared with #2, but it is not overtly obvious. Looks fine as is - lighting could have been more dramatic, but with the Christmas lights behind the cat, it would have instigated some incongruence.
12-30-2010, 05:35 PM   #7
Inactive Account

The EXIF detail should be included. IMO, the individual fur hairs should be quite apparent. I find the background dist rating. My preference is for a black cat surrounded by a colour that distinguishes it. So honestly IMO the IQ is poor as is the color, bokeh, sharpness, and noise level of each. For what it is worth, that is as honest as I can be, as I see them.

12-30-2010, 06:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I going #2

No seriously I do like the second one better. The first is too soft. You have a good sharp capture in the eyes and with a black cat, that's all you really need. I really like the crown of Xmas tree lights.

I still think the WB is off but not too bad.

be well,
joe
01-01-2011, 04:30 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentexan, it is a good picture but could stand some PP, so instead of writing a long story I'll show you the way I would have done it:

Adjusted: color, contrast and brightness and a little local sharpening.

Take care,
01-01-2011, 06:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

sorry Heinrich

me no like...the OP version is richer and more relaxed..yours looks stark and uninviting... whether yours is more like the original colours..only the OP can tell..... but being true to what you see.. doesn't always cut it either....
01-02-2011, 07:05 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks!

Thanks for the input. I'm still playing around and learning new things, so I thought this close up would be a good test for both me and the camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by eagle2 Quote
Pentexan: Your shots of the cat seem sharp and quite clean to me!

They remind me of our old cat of 18 years "Frank" who recently passed away.

Good shots.
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Well, I was going to say.. they look a bit soft. But, I like #2 better because it looks sharper.
QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
the colour looks warm and very soothing .. noise levels in both are very good..the first image is ever so slightly softer than the second..so Id choose No 2 ....the bokeh is pleasant....the limited DOF at F 6.7 would suggest that you were very close to the cat...nice shot..nice cat
QuoteOriginally posted by thoughton Quote
Bokeh, noise and colour are all very good. I can barely see any difference between them but I suppose 2 might be ever so slightly sharper. Both images are too soft though. I suppose that might be partially a result of using the kit lens at 55mm.
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
There may well be a loss of contrast in #1 as compared with #2, but it is not overtly obvious. Looks fine as is - lighting could have been more dramatic, but with the Christmas lights behind the cat, it would have instigated some incongruence.
01-02-2011, 07:09 PM   #12

Original Poster
I thought the EXIF is what I included at the top of the post - maybe I have the wrong terminology.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
The EXIF detail should be included. IMO, the individual fur hairs should be quite apparent. I find the background dist rating. My preference is for a black cat surrounded by a colour that distinguishes it. So honestly IMO the IQ is poor as is the color, bokeh, sharpness, and noise level of each. For what it is worth, that is as honest as I can be, as I see them.
01-02-2011, 07:12 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks! May I ask the changes to the brightness/contrast, e.g. +/-

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Pentexan, it is a good picture but could stand some PP, so instead of writing a long story I'll show you the way I would have done it:

Adjusted: color, contrast and brightness and a little local sharpening.

Take care,