Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-30-2010, 09:27 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bye Bye snow
Photo Location: GA 

I think the few furious days of cold and snow are over. It was in high 30s today. And forecast for Friday says 65.

C&C welcome. It is kind of centered in the middle. Would have been better if I had composed better. But I missed it at the time. After looking at the picture in computer, I could not crop it to fix the centering because it would take out part of the house or the tree. So I just kept it as shot, no crop.

12-30-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Somehow the movie "Shining" (Kubrik) instantly pops to mind. That means very well done, I suppose :-)
12-30-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
Somehow the movie "Shining" (Kubrik) instantly pops to mind. That means very well done, I suppose :-)
, thanks I suppose.
12-30-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Definitely has a "Shinning" quality to it also seems like something Tim Burton would have in his movies. I really like this pic though. I do not think the centering is a problem here, the her being in the middle of the house is fine.

**This is one of my favorite photos I have seen on this forum. There's something about the leave-less tree and snow that bring about a very somber feeling then the expression on her face brings about a child-like wonder of seeing the first snow fall on Christmas. Those two emotions together make the photo very interesting. Very well done!

12-30-2010, 04:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
Definitely has a "Shinning" quality to it also seems like something Tim Burton would have in his movies. I really like this pic though. I do not think the centering is a problem here, the her being in the middle of the house is fine.

**This is one of my favorite photos I have seen on this forum. There's something about the leave-less tree and snow that bring about a very somber feeling then the expression on her face brings about a child-like wonder of seeing the first snow fall on Christmas. Those two emotions together make the photo very interesting. Very well done!
Thank you very much.
12-30-2010, 07:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I really like the shot as well.
12-30-2010, 10:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Striking shot!

12-30-2010, 11:53 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is indeed a wonderful photograph, among the top I’ve seen in this forum.

Converting to B&W was a wise choice. It helps make the image look like a still from a Depression-era movie. The house and trees in the background are perfectly blurred and scaled to resemble a set. And the woman’s expression communicates awe and maybe spirit. This is a great counterweight to the “vogue of gloom” motif that draws attention to most images.

You’ve done a great job, kudos.

My only advice would be to change the title to something more appropriate to the image.

M
12-31-2010, 11:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks - vievetrick, Voytech and Miguel.

cheers,

Abhi
12-31-2010, 12:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I tend not to just post "Beautiful Shot" but in this case I'll just say.....

BEAUTIFUL SHOT
01-01-2011, 06:20 AM   #11
smf
Pentaxian

My most important point: Nice shot!

Secondarily, I vote for a change of title. Snow is falling. Thus, unless she's wishing the snow would go away, I miss the point of the title.

I hope you'll continue to post photos so I can continue to enjoy and learn from your work.

All best,
Stu
01-01-2011, 05:57 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by smf Quote
My most important point: Nice shot!

Secondarily, I vote for a change of title. Snow is falling. Thus, unless she's wishing the snow would go away, I miss the point of the title.

I hope you'll continue to post photos so I can continue to enjoy and learn from your work.

All best,
Stu
I agree, don't care for the title, really good photo, though, strong 3D quality to it. What lens? In fairness to the poster, I tried to come up with a better title and nothing came to mind.
01-01-2011, 11:39 PM   #13

Beautiful black and white conversion! I too love the house in the background and feel it has a movie set feel to it. What is the lighting on this? I can't figure it out, it looks like night, but her face is so well lit and there are shadows being cast on the house from the tree. I'm intrigued. Would also love to hear your lens and settings for this.
Well done!
01-02-2011, 02:58 AM   #14

One of the nicer people shots here. If you're looking for improvements, maybe try cropping higher from the bottom. Right now, the photo's slightly awkward with the framing cutting off her hands near her wrists.
01-02-2011, 05:04 AM   #15
Inactive Account

The epilogue explains that the snow is the last expected. So it was meant as a goodbye.
The "I suppose" comment comes from the attachment to the girl making it difficult to understand the objective interpretations of others.
The interior lighted windows, the street light (?) glare at the top right and the shadows suggest the photo was taken at night. Probably at a bit of long exposure to capture the falling snow flakes.
That is my analysis, rightly or wrongly. Nice shot regardless of any interpretation and regardless that a good photo should, as art, in most instances, communicate the photographer's message almost universally.