Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2010, 05:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My new blanket
Lens: 18-55mm Camera: Kx ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/30s Aperture: F5.6 

Here is another picture of my niece i managed to get before she scurried away. She had just opened her new blanket for Christmas. I like the colors of the blanket, but it also seems a bit distracting.

What do you think?
First is uneditied, second is playing with the exposure and vibrance a little bit.

Attached Images

Last edited by SlickYamaha; 12-31-2010 at 05:54 PM.
12-31-2010, 07:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think it needs some fill light to even out the photo a little.
Also, sometimes after I pump up the vibrance I tick down the saturation a bit to keep the colors from beginning to look fake.
01-01-2011, 06:01 AM   #3
smf
Pentaxian

I like the second version very much.

If your primary purpose is to capture a portrait of the child, then perhaps the blanket is a distraction. You can try cropping it out.

However, if you're trying to tell a story, you need the blanket. My eye travels from the child's eyes to the left of the frame (because that's where she's looking), then down to the blanket.

A minor point: You might consider cropping a bit from the right.

And., in a perfect world, you might have positioned yourself to the left and perhaps also higher, thereby eliminating or reducing dead space (the wall to the left of the tree). However, in that case, the decorated tree would have made the background even busier.

Thanks very much for posting another photo of the very cute child.

Happy new year.
Stu
01-01-2011, 08:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies, I was worried about putting stuff in the critique forum because of possibly getting bent out of shape (not the toughest skin in the world) but now i dont like it for another reason. Every picture i post up, my head hurts more and more from slapping myself in the head going "doh...Why didnt i think of that!" lol

Thanks for all the help. It only helps to make the next picture better than the last.

01-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice capture of her face! I like the story photo, keep the blanket in. Of course you can can always make more than one version.
01-01-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

What's not to love about that shot! The first is very good, the second one better by a little, but just relax, they are both great. You got the essentials right, the pose is priceless, and the young lady is gorgeous! Perfection will drive you crazy, to the point that you won't even recognize it when you see it. Photos are to enjoy.......what is it you can't enjoy about this one?
Best Regards! & Happy New Year!
Rupert
01-01-2011, 12:49 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is a nice portrait, the sort you want to have for many years from now!
If you find the colors distracting, try to turn it in to black and white. I think it would work well for this shot.

01-03-2011, 06:58 PM   #8

Thought I'd give it a try. Desaturated the blank among other things. With it being a portrait I basically tried to put more focus on the subject.

01-03-2011, 08:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I think I liked the original best, that shiny blanket was part of the excitement in her eyes, at least that is how I saw it. It was not a distraction to me at all, just part of the unspoken story. At any rate, it is a nice shot!
Regards!