Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2011, 10:37 PM   #1

Winter Sunset After The Storm
Lens: DA 55-300 Camera: Kx Photo Location: Montana ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/150s Aperture: F16 

The light is fading fast and it's cold. But this was at the end of my driveway, so I had to try. Comments?

Last edited by jkwhawk; 10-26-2011 at 10:24 AM.
01-01-2011, 11:25 PM   #2
Banned

Hope you don't mind,quick and dirty edit but it shows rather than explain.
01-01-2011, 11:28 PM   #3
Banned

this site is not easy to upload photos
Attached Images

01-02-2011, 04:19 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good morning Jim,
Nice Photo, pretty place. What specific mountains are in the background? Part of the Rockies or what Range? Thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR from Canada's east coast.

01-02-2011, 11:50 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kryss Quote
Hope you don't mind,quick and dirty edit but it shows rather than explain.
Thanks for the visual comments! Different points of view are what makes this forum great. I was trying to keep the actual look of the scene because it was dark and a little moody. I kept the branches on the left because I thought it helped frame the scene and draw your eye to the center. Pine branches would have been way better. The sky was fairly dark and the one hot spot in the clouds was just about it for light. The sun would be completely behind the mountains in another 2 minutes. The branches on the pine looked almost black (no lighter green at all) because of the light. So, anyway, I was going for the soft, moody look and you preferred something different. You've given me something to think about, and I will. If we all viewed everything the same, the world would be a really dull place. Thanks again!! Jim
01-02-2011, 12:03 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
Good morning Jim,
Nice Photo, pretty place. What specific mountains are in the background? Part of the Rockies or what Range? Thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR from Canada's east coast.
Good morning! The view is of the end of the Pioneers. They are on the east side of the continental divide and drain into rivers that form the Missouri at Three Forks, Montana. Dillon is essentially surrounded by small ranges, so one gets a close mountain view in almost every direction. And this view really is from my driveway (only 2 miles from town). Thanks for the reply and HAPPY NEW YEAR to you and all my northern neighbors!! Jim
01-02-2011, 03:46 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the reply. Lucky man, beautiful location. We are both blessed. We spent some time away from the Atlantic Ocean. Had to rush to the shore upon return. The wonderful smell of salt air was more evident than ever. Too old to travel now or else we would visit Big Sky Country.