Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
At Port - Ludington, MI
Lens: DA 35 2.8 Ltd Camera: K200D Photo Location: Aboard SS Badger ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F4 

Approaching the dock on the car ferry SS Badger, Ludington, MI.

Curious which of these compositions you all prefer and any suggestions or improvement, PP or otherwise.

Looking back on it, F8 may have given a sharper overall frame. I have b&w conversions in the gallery linked below.

Aboard the SS Badger - grainbelt's Photos

01-03-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hard to be sure, but the horizon appears to be sloping down to the left.
#1 has a duller warmer hue whist #2 is brighter but more obviously tinted too far towards the magenta end (according to the clouds).
These scenes could do with some dodging of the highlights of the darker parts of the image, then add some contrast to enhance their impact.
Looks reasonably sharp, but is worthwhile shooting at f/8 anyway for these types of scenes.
01-03-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Excellent points, both of them.

I struggled with the horizon as there is no clear delineation but may be better off going with what 'feels' right than finding some technical justification.

I had tried to grab a white point off the rear ship, but didn't get the right one.

Exposures were metered differently in the camera, second shot is 1/125 rather than 1/200, which caused some of the lighting issues.

I still have the original raw files so I will reprocess and see if a fresh eye helps (these are four months old now).

Thanks!.
01-03-2011, 07:08 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager

RAW will help - you can slightly boost shadows and try some contrast, then in your favourite PP program treat the shadows and highlights specifically and see the result.

01-04-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That last link didn't work, so I reuploaded the pic.

Here's a second attempt at the vertical crop, horizon adjusted and with the sky treated in a separate layer.

Improvement?

01-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Better. My preference would be to crop half the sky. That with a little brighter will emphasis the subject(s).

A plastic bubble level that fits into the flash shoe can be had for less than $10.00 if that helps you with getting things straight.
01-04-2011, 04:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
A plastic bubble level that fits into the flash shoe can be had for less than $10.00 if that helps you with getting things straight.
I usually have a 2-3 degree list to the left, easily fixed in post.

Sadly, in this case I was hanging over the railing trying to shoot around a bunch of tourists and the bow of the ship and was fairly happy to get a decent exposure, let alone a level horizon.

I agree re: the crop - I uploaded to smugmug at normal aspect ratio. If I were to order a print for some reason, it would be 5x7 or 8x10 and I could make that crop online.