Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2011, 01:09 AM   #1
Forum Member

Pup-Creek Falls
Lens: DA L 18-55 Camera: Kx Photo Location: pup creek falls, OR ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F8 

Two images, very similar.
I can't quite tell which one sits better with me... I'm kinda disappointed in both. Neither really captures just how powerful and frozen this waterfall was. Would love to hear suggestions. I personally think the first one's a little better.

And the second

01-04-2011, 07:08 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also like the first one better. Both should be brighter to get the detail of the trees. Can be fixed in PP. I have the impression that the exposures were a little too long to present the fall in better motion. Always bracket your shots so you have more options to choose from.
That's my opinion. Hope it helps.
01-04-2011, 09:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The second shot give a bit better scale since the full-height trees are visible at the top of the falls. That said, there is still some negative space to the top and left. A crop to the yellowish small tree branches on the left and just above the two trees above the falls may be the best compromise.

In the second shot, a tiny bit of fill flash on the nearby trees to the right would have brought some more detail out.

Edit: I went ahead and did it. Also brightened shadows, darkened highlights, added some midtone contrast and ran a wee bit of noise reduction

One thing I always do when struggling with a contrasty scene is convert b&w. In this case I think it is the yellow that is visually pulling you away from the falls.

click for originals

Last edited by grainbelt; 01-04-2011 at 09:28 AM.
01-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #4
smf
Pentaxian

Although I like both images, I prefer the first.

If you're trying to convey power, I think the first image does that more. Perhaps that's because the falls appear to be larger in the first image than in the second.

Perhaps shooting from a more extreme angle — from a lower tripod mount, or from your knees or from a prone position — would have better conveyed the power you experienced

The second image's greater context is attractive.

Best wishes for the new year.
Stu

01-04-2011, 11:16 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grainbelt Quote
The second shot give a bit better scale since the full-height trees are visible at the top of the falls. That said, there is still some negative space to the top and left. A crop to the yellowish small tree branches on the left and just above the two trees above the falls may be the best compromise.

In the second shot, a tiny bit of fill flash on the nearby trees to the right would have brought some more detail out.

Edit: I went ahead and did it. Also brightened shadows, darkened highlights, added some midtone contrast and ran a wee bit of noise reduction

One thing I always do when struggling with a contrasty scene is convert b&w. In this case I think it is the yellow that is visually pulling you away from the falls.

click for originals
Hm... I like the black and white!
I'll definitely consider that.

QuoteOriginally posted by smf Quote
Although I like both images, I prefer the first.

If you're trying to convey power, I think the first image does that more. Perhaps that's because the falls appear to be larger in the first image than in the second.

Perhaps shooting from a more extreme angle — from a lower tripod mount, or from your knees or from a prone position — would have better conveyed the power you experienced

The second image's greater context is attractive.

Best wishes for the new year.
Stu
I wish I'd brought my tripod and a flash with me... Might have been able to do a little more. I really didn't want to lie in that... mess there, though... :F

QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
I also like the first one better. Both should be brighter to get the detail of the trees. Can be fixed in PP. I have the impression that the exposures were a little too long to present the fall in better motion. Always bracket your shots so you have more options to choose from.
That's my opinion. Hope it helps.
Hrm... I tried it with a bit more fill light up front, and found it distracting. I'll keep playing with it, and I'll do some shutter bracketing next time.

Thanks all!
01-04-2011, 12:23 PM   #6
krp
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots. Is that moss behind the waterfall? Maybe next time you could use a polarizer to bring out the colors more.
01-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krp Quote
Nice shots. Is that moss behind the waterfall? Maybe next time you could use a polarizer to bring out the colors more.
Hm.
I've never really used a polarizer (I have one, but I had baaaad IQ issues with it, so I put it away...). Can you elaborate a bit on why it would help?

Thanks!

*EDIT*
Gone and read a bit more (slow day at work, I guess...). I think I could see a CPL working here... though I guess I need a decent one. The $10 ones seem to produce particularly poor results.

Last edited by sgtkashim; 01-04-2011 at 02:11 PM.
01-04-2011, 02:30 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Good ones go for $100.00 +

Try eBay. You should get the identical one from China at half price.

grainbelt, above brightened it as I suggested.