Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2011, 09:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Alone
Lens: Sigma 17-70 HSM OS Camera: K20D Photo Location: Texas ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F4 

I went by that "Curve Ahead" yesterday evening, but it was too late too get a shot. Just down the road I got this, barely. Darkness was closing in fast. I have shot this a couple of times in the past and have a couple of questions that always crop up in my mind on this type of shot, maybe some of you can give your thoughts?

*I always seem to want to see a little foreground, not just a silhouette in darkness, what about you?
*I never seem to find this type of shot very interesting, we've all seen sunsets?
*Is it even worth taking a shot under these conditions? Just wondering......

Here is an old one (different location) I like better, but it still has the same "problems"??

Best Regards!
Rupert

01-05-2011, 11:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Rupert. I'm not very good at this so take it with a grain of salt. I don't much care for the second one but I do like the first one very much. The sky is really nice. I too like a little foreground but I think there may be too much here. Maybe crop a bit off the bottom but not too much. Someone once referred to sunsets as boring but I never find them so.
01-05-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Rupert, I like sunset shots a lot. We get some beauties here in Greece.

I think most will agree that the viewer has to have some foreground reference in order to give a little 'scale' to the sky. It then comes down to how much foreground ? (as slowpez suggested in your shots, maybe crop a little off the bottom) However, a further question is, what sort of foreground ? Personally, I like both of your shots - maybe #2 a little more - but IMO the foreground in both is a little distracting and untidy. The key scene has to be the sunset and anything in the foreground must compliment this.

I believe the inclusion of the wind pump is a good idea but maybe placed more off-centre ? and also maybe less of the distracting briers and hedge rubbish.
01-05-2011, 12:58 PM   #4
Banned

quick and dirty,but recoverable with PP.Happy new year Rupert,when are we going to see more pics of Shelby?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
01-05-2011, 01:55 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Sunset-3

My preference.

*I always seem to want to see a little foreground, not just a silhouette in darkness, what about you?

As below in photo.

*I never seem to find this type of shot very interesting, we've all seen sunsets?

Never will see enough.

*Is it even worth taking a shot under these conditions? Just wondering......

You "bet your sweet bippy" it is! (Remember Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In, TV Series from the 60's !)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
01-05-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Slowpez!, I agree on the cropping.

Fotaki, Thanks I am glad you liked them ...second one I like best too but am not fond of either really. Really can't do much about the brush....bring a chainsaw? LOL!

Kryss, nice brightening.....a little green? Same with Sparkles and I like her crop.

I'm a little surprised anyone liked these at all, but I will keep shooting them and see if I can do better a little earlier with more foreground, cropped, of course!

Sparkles, you are showing your age! Most of these young Whippersnappers have no idea of what you are talking about......but I do! LOL! Isn't that "special"?

Best Regards!
01-05-2011, 05:58 PM   #7
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Thanks Slowpez!, I agree on the cropping.

Fotaki, Thanks I am glad you liked them ...second one I like best too but am not fond of either really. Really can't do much about the brush....bring a chainsaw? LOL!

Kryss, nice brightening.....a little green? Same with Sparkles and I like her crop.

I'm a little surprised anyone liked these at all, but I will keep shooting them and see if I can do better a little earlier with more foreground, cropped, of course!

Sparkles, you are showing your age! Most of these young Whippersnappers have no idea of what you are talking about......but I do! LOL! Isn't that "special"?

Best Regards!
I agree, but I did say quick and dirty.

01-06-2011, 08:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kryss Quote
I agree, but I did say quick and dirty.

Yes, you were honest! That was s big push, can't make a silk purse........no, we don't want to start that conversation up again!
Best Regards & Thanks!