Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2011, 08:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pizza & Hot Wings
Lens: DA*50-135 Camera: K20D Photo Location: Texas ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/30s Aperture: F5.6 

After a break for the Holidays, we were back at it again with Pizza & Hot Wings and a little shooting fun today. I would love to report to you guys that have helped me so much that I did much better...but I really didn't. I think the few weeks off set me back considerably, but I can report that we had great fun and will try again next week!
Best Regards!
Rupert

Welcome back Shelby....I'm still trying to get used to that black hair....
[IMG] [/IMG]

Welcome back Lacie...glad you are still blond!
1/30 F7.1 55mm ISO 200 DA* 50-135
[IMG] [/IMG]

Last edited by Rupert; 01-12-2011 at 07:22 PM.
01-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #2
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
.I'm still trying to get used to that black hair....
So am I. Noticed it in your flickr album of Shelby. When did she do that (and I'll be rude and ask only because I'm a sucker for the reddish auburn hair color on a woman), Why? I guess it's just something they do but it makes her look kind of hard.

Photos are looking great as usual, the fav this time around is Lacie's pose.

01-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Jeff...you know young girls...what can I say? She had gorgeous hair color that went so well with her brilliant eyes, but like I said....young girls! Lacie is well satisfied with her hair color, and promised me she would never change it...good news!
I was thinking I did good today, but when I downloaded, I found tons of problems...sort of disappointing, but at least we had fun....and those Hot Wings & Pizza!

Here is one just for you...there is truth in that T-Shirt!
[IMG] [/IMG]
01-11-2011, 10:26 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Ok, I'll give her that one (as if she cares ).. There are some lookers up here too. They just give me strange looks when I ask to take a photo... I didn't realize though that in your lunch table shot, that it was Her on the left side of the shot until I saw the other photos. It's going to take some getting use to (then she'll change it again). My niece changes hers weekly. She was a blonde much like Lacie growing up but who knows tomorrow...

01-11-2011, 10:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I snapped this of old Carl while I was waiting for the Pizza today.......old guys don't change much like young girls or women. They just stay with what they are.
[IMG] [/IMG]

I took this of him four years ago....looks the same today, and still napping too!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Best Regards!
01-12-2011, 12:48 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hey Rupert, both of the photos look great with nice lighting. My only suggestions are to come in a bit closer (or crop) on the second so there's not as much space above her head. The first one is my favorite of the two because of the light on her skin, the makeup, her eyes and her hair (maybe not the color, but how she's holding it). However I'm distracted by her armpit. Shooting an armpit isn't always flattering, so maybe a different pose would help in the future, such as turning her body to her right. Hope this helps.
01-12-2011, 02:12 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I'm an old girl and still colour my hair, reddish auburn at that. Otherwise I'd be grey!

01-12-2011, 07:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Builttospill , and good tips too. Armpits....I see your point, yet they don't seem to register the same to me. Here where the Summers are so hot, we see them very often and are perhaps more used to them? The crop, yes, I've been told that, and agree!

Sparkle, I think Mrs Rupert has hair as white as snow, but I'm not asking!

Best Regards!

Here Mrs Rupert tells my white haired Mom of how I spent all our money on camera gear...it was a sad day....for me!
01-13-2011, 03:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Rupert - on your original two photos, the crops are perhaps a little tight - we lost an elbow and some hair in the first one, and some hair in the second one.

Also, the second one being at F7.1, the jacket? on her left shoulder is in focus, and a bit distracting.

I'm curious whether Lacie is that much more tan than Shelby, or if the white balance is a bit off. Shelby is a bit pink. The backgrounds are different colors in each, is it the same in real life?
01-13-2011, 09:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grainbelt Quote
Rupert - on your original two photos, the crops are perhaps a little tight - we lost an elbow and some hair in the first one, and some hair in the second one.

Also, the second one being at F7.1, the jacket? on her left shoulder is in focus, and a bit distracting.

I'm curious whether Lacie is that much more tan than Shelby, or if the white balance is a bit off. Shelby is a bit pink. The backgrounds are different colors in each, is it the same in real life?
Grainbelt, you are right on all counts, but it seems if I get one thing right, I miss two others! I need to slow down and concentrate more, instead of the rapid sequence we are generally shooting.

Lacie is much more tan than the pale white Shelby. The one of Lacie is very true to life for her color, and Shelby is almost as pale as in that first one.....WB is not easy to maintain, I am using different lenses and different lighting throughout the shooting and that makes it even more difficult to maintain any steady balance. If it wasn't for RAW, I would not be able to use many of the shots.

Best Regards , Your comments appreciated!
01-13-2011, 10:04 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Two words. Gray Card. Each time you change the model/lens/lighting have her hold the card in front of or next to her face for the initial test shot. Then you have a reliable source to choose the WB later in Post if that's where you choose to do it.

01-14-2011, 07:26 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Jeff, I appreciate that, and since I don't have a good Gray Card, I am going to order one today for next week. Any online suggestions where I might get a good one for this purpose?
Best Regards!

BTW-Thanks!
01-14-2011, 11:27 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Gray Cards

One of the $5.50 ones will probably work. At least it will give you a consistent target to work with. The 8x10 should also be large enough to let you do a Manual WB setting on the spot. As you can see, you can spend as much or little as you like.

01-16-2011, 04:54 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Reading Subdued Shelby topic, I have come to this post to take a look at your photos. I liked all of them and I have taken the liberty to edit one of Shelby's photos, just for the fun of it. I hope you, or her, don't mind that.

Furthermore, I think you will not agree with me on this edit, because it seems you do prefer a more natural look of your subjects. Nevertheless, consider my glamor/fashion version of Shelby's photo and (please) ask her opinion.
Bear in mind that's a fairly quick edit from a low resolution file.
With some more time to spend and a bigger file, results should be better in proportion. You may notice also that I have changed white balance to be more in tune with a more warm look you would expect from a Texan girl.
Also the crop is a bit weird due to the fact that the t-shirt logo must be included in the image.

Regarding WB, if you shoot raw you can easily adjusted it without the need for gray cards. That, of course, doesn't mean that Jeff's suggestion isn't valid and a good one.

Lastly, you are really a lucky guy, being blessed with such beautiful daughters. I guess you already know that, but let me say it as a compliment. Congratulations on my behalf.

Cheers.

------
Rupert, I'm now forced to upload photos to the forum gallery as I don't have any space left for attachments and I don't want to put the photo on my personal album, as it's not a photograph taken by me.
As a workaround to this annoyance, I have uploaded your photo to my PF gallery, so I can post it here. Nevertheless, the gallery photo is credited to you and a reference is made in the comment section, stating that it's only an edit of your original photo.
Should you oppose to this procedure and I will delete the photo. Just let me know.

01-16-2011, 06:16 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Great job Manel, I'm sure Rupert will appreciate it as will his "Daughter".