Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-11-2011, 09:52 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Milton - problems in PP or developing?

Some of you may have seen Milton before. I got this shot printed through Smugmug, and I'm a little disappointed in the result. Although, I must admit that my monitor(s) aren't calibrated and I typically like to keep my screens dark. I've gotten used to knowing how far my laptop is "off" by looking at pictures that have been printed and displayed on other screens, but I'm on a loaner laptop right now that I'm not as familiar with. The print from Smugmug seems just a tad overexposed, most noticeable on the head.

So I ask for a social network of monitors to look at thie shot. Is it my lack of calibration? or does it look like the touch of overexposure is on Smugmug's developing?

Attached Images

01-11-2011, 10:08 PM   #2
Forum Member

My monitor hasn't been calibrated either but I see good detail on the head, doesn't look overexposed to me.
01-11-2011, 10:34 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If anything, the contrast of this image is quite subdued - there isn't enough brilliance to the colours and textures. If you indicate to the printers that there may need to be some pre-printing adjustments to optimise the image for the printer, then results may be better. Or get the specifics of the printer to match your JPEG output (i.e. colour space and format).
01-11-2011, 10:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Looks fine on my end.... lovely chinese mantid.

01-12-2011, 03:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have never met Milton before but he looks like a perfectly exposed and detailed specimen of his species.

Mickey
01-12-2011, 03:15 AM   #6
juu
Veteran Member

On my non-calibrated 3007WFP it looks nice, subdued, if a bit dull. I'd like to see a bit more saturation in the shot.

However, it is definitely not overexposed.
01-12-2011, 06:25 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Looks fine on my 18 x 11 calibrated high-end monitor. But here is an alternative if perhaps it is more like you expected. Remember the light is coming from the left onto his face etc. and he is exactly in the DoF focus range.

Attached Images

01-12-2011, 06:43 AM   #8

Original Poster
Sparkle, on my monitor as mentioned, that looks very much like the print - see the difference in his face?

Ash, Juu - what would you recommend in Lightroom? Simply bumping up the saturation a bit?
01-12-2011, 06:50 AM   #9
juu
Veteran Member

I would play with saturation and contrast (and sometimes vibrance). Maybe a touch of brightness and/or exposure.

I think the right way is to do it through "curves" in Photoshop, but I haven't learned how.
01-12-2011, 07:03 AM   #10
Inactive Account

I see his face brighter, more in tune with the brightness on his leg. Also sharper, as most obvious in the joint in his back. I'm just explaining how it appears to me.
01-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is often the case: prints from brighter, oversharpened images look better than if they were printed to what looks better on the screen. You need to experiment with your monitor/printer combo to find what works best for you.
01-12-2011, 11:54 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The tonal qualities of the image very much looks like it was processed on an uncalibrated laptop monitor.

I think the lab did a fine job with what they were given.

M
01-13-2011, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by applejax Quote
Milton - problems in PP or developing?
Post-processing is always problematic and subjective. I see Milton's photo as a bit flat, meaning lacking contrast and color; also for my personal taste, the image looks better with a more darker tone to bring Milton's face more to the scene (as is the only feature on the focal plane). Here's my edit (not as bright as Sparkle's but a different one that you may take in account):

01-13-2011, 03:33 PM   #14
Veteran Member

You original looks ok, if a bit flat. Agree with Manel's addition of some contrast in that regard, though it may be a bit much for my taste.

Back on track - can you link your smugmug image? Depending on the color space you saved in and some other factors, it may look different in their rendering, regardless of the printing.

I use smugmug and have been very happy with their printing vendors, which I believe have been consolidated to Bay Photo in San Francisco. If you haven't read it, here is a link to the FAQ re: color correction in their printing.

SmugMug Help: Should I enable color correction?

If you don't have a login for Dgrin.com yet, suggest you look into it. In addition to smugmug support, there is an active community of amateur and pro photographers from all brands that are very helpful.
01-14-2011, 11:00 AM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks, everyone, for the input so far.

grainbelt, I was wondering about the color correction. Do you think I'd have preferable results if I didn't have color correction applied to the shot?

Manel Brand, that looks really good. Maybe a touch heavy for my tastes, but I like the improvements. What did you adjust?

I'm also on smugmug's free option for now - is there a big difference in their processing for the paid accounts?

Last edited by applejax; 01-14-2011 at 11:07 AM.