Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-14-2011, 06:34 AM   #1
Inactive Account

baby b&w
Lens: 50mm Camera: pentax kr Photo Location: strasbourg ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/30s Aperture: F2 

Hello Folks,

I'm a begginer and it's my first time sending here, so be soft on me
This is a pic of my daughter taken inside my flat. I like it cause it looks soft to me.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
01-14-2011, 06:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome to the forum
what a sweet little angel
maybe the pic is a little dark, but it is not bad thing
01-14-2011, 06:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I don't have technical experience, but as a "consumer" of images I have to say how much I love this picture. Her face is adorable, she looks sleepy and at peace. Love the lighting and everything about the softness, tone and mood. If I had to suggest one thing to change for next time, maybe try and get a picture where her face is more symetrical. The way she is leaning on the chair pushes her face up and out of shape (although, I am of two minds on this because I also think it is very cute.)
01-14-2011, 12:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It is pretty significantly underexposed, which is losing some of the detail in her eyes.

While I agree that the soft skin tones are pleasant, the lack of contrast makes it a bit dull.

I brightened it up a bit, which brought on some noise since the file is so small, but hopefully gives an indication of what it could look like, specifically the eyes.

It is a really lovely photo, and one you should print once you have the tones where you want them.

01-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you guys for your comments; I have a question for Grainbelt : Did you use several tools to brightened it? it really looks better and sharper that way.thanks!
01-14-2011, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by neweclipse Quote
Thank you guys for your comments; I have a question for Grainbelt : Did you use several tools to brightened it? it really looks better and sharper that way.thanks!
I used photoshop elements 8. I used the Brighten/Contrast tool +25 brightness, adjusted the curves a little bit, and then ran some of the built in noise reduction.

I didn't do any sharpening. Increasing contrast makes in image look sharper, as it makes the darks darker, the brights brighter, and the corresponding transitions appear sharper.

It could have been a lot cleaner with a larger file, or the RAW file. Do you have any editing software available to you?
01-14-2011, 05:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Grainbelt did a fantastic job on the image... it is perfect, she is beyond beautiful...

01-15-2011, 01:49 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Unfortunately i didn't shoot this picture in raw. Actually this pic was shot inside with electric light, and as a good beginner i forgot to set up the electric light button, so my picture came out very yellow .Even using the camera tools i couldn't do something viewable, so i decided to try to do it in b&w using Gimp, and that was the best i could do.
So you're right Tessfully, Grainbelt did a very good job with this pic!
I just download Rawtherapee a few days ago, and will try to shoot raw now.
Anyway lots of things to learn for me but it's very interesting!
one more question: Can we adjust the white balance after taking the pic in Jpeg or only in Raw?