Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2011, 06:17 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pounce
Lens: 55 to 300 Camera: Pentax KX Photo Location: Indiana ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F5.6 

Just a shot taken in my back yard and wanted to get some opinions.

Attached Images

01-14-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Unremarkable, sorry. Snow background is...snow, and there is a blurry dog.
01-14-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I know this shot well! I have three dogs always leaping at the camera as I try to pull off a crisp image. The composition is good. I like the way the dog is leaping into the open air. The snow looks good on my monitor....nice and white. The dog is very sweet looking, albeit blurred in motion. Try again if you can. Maybe get all four feet in the air. Try burst mode on your KX; it has worked for me in the last few days and is a lot of fun too. Amazing how many facial expressions they go thru in one leap!

Post again if you can... cheers!
01-14-2011, 07:37 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Try increasing your iso so you can stop down the lens more - thus increasing your depth of field.

01-15-2011, 04:45 AM   #5
Inactive Account

When you try again bracket your shots and start with over exposing by 1 stop to keep he snow white (You will have at least one normal, one 1 stop over and one 2 stops over.) .
01-16-2011, 06:04 PM   #6

Good look at a dog having fun in the snow. I think your focus point is just to the right of the dog. I would try center focus and recompose to capture a sharper Rover. I have a number of 'black blur shots' - my dog catching a frisbee.
01-16-2011, 06:56 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Site Supporter

How many times do I have to stress that there are no Bad Doggie shots! Sure, you might get him in focus, but he is a Doggie, he doesn't care if you get him in focus or not, but he is glad you get him. Doggies are just that way, forgiving and understanding.........I love Doggies! You keep shooting your Doggie, and I will keep looking!
Regards!
01-16-2011, 07:34 PM   #8
Ash
Community Manager

Shooting wide open means you have to get focus spot on, and that was all that was needed for this shot to work. 1/500sec is fast enough to stop action, but ultimately it's focusing skills that will make your shots come out good.

01-17-2011, 08:54 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Shooting wide open means you have to get focus spot on, and that was all that was needed for this shot to work. 1/500sec is fast enough to stop action, but ultimately it's focusing skills that will make your shots come out good.
That is what I was going to say. Ash, with the dog coming toward the camera couldn't he have taken the shot at even 1/250s?
I agree with Rupert, there are no bad dog shots and no bad cat shots either. Of course, cats don't move so they are a little easier to capture.
01-17-2011, 09:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would try continuous AF, burst mode, and bump the ISO until you can get F11 at 1/500.

Burst mode because anything coming toward you is tough for the AF to lock on, and snapping off 2 or 3 frames, you should get at least one in focus.
01-17-2011, 09:47 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks

thanks for all the help i will try all the suggestions and will deffinetly post more pics to get all of your opinions. again thanks
01-17-2011, 10:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
How many times do I have to stress that there are no Bad Doggie shots! Sure, you might get him in focus, but he is a Doggie, he doesn't care if you get him in focus or not, but he is glad you get him. Doggies are just that way, forgiving and understanding.........I love Doggies! You keep shooting your Doggie, and I will keep looking!
Regards!

That's so sweet, Rupert!

Personally I think you should have bumped the ISO, guess the K-x is capable of giving you nice high ISO shots, so next time try at least ISO 400.

Try to get a shutter speed of 1/1000 sec, because dogs are so fast, it's hard to keep up with them. You are lucky not to have a black dog, those are more difficult to get a good focus on. And taking a picture of a dog approaching you isn't the easiest way to get a good action shot.
Snow looks good to me.

Just experiment with all kind of settings, I take loads and loads of pictures of my running dog and it's just a difficult subject to shoot when they are running.