Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2011, 07:45 PM   #16
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good work with the last two interpretations Tess - the first one is appropriately subdued, and the reflection on the water makes this one work. Be careful though with the freestyle burning as it's left a halo effect around the tree reflection on the water in #2.
Otherwise well done.

01-18-2011, 05:58 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Good work with the last two interpretations Tess - the first one is appropriately subdued, and the reflection on the water makes this one work. Be careful though with the freestyle burning as it's left a halo effect around the tree reflection on the water in #2.
Otherwise well done.
Thanks for the comments and helping me with these. I can't believe how sloppy I was with photograph # 2! I fixed it now, will repost.

Last edited by tessfully; 01-18-2011 at 08:52 AM.
01-18-2011, 06:04 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Kruger Quote
Try retrieving the original JPEG from your camera, and in the ACDSee that came with your camera, simply hit Auto Exposure. Don't over process.
When using the W80 like this, simply hold a polorizing filter over the front element. You also can simply hold a GND filter in front of it to darken skies.
Thanks for the suggestions and advice. I never thought of holding a filter over the P & s and will definitely give it a try. I have ordered one for my new k-x ... don't have a GND filter but it will probably become part of my kit sooner or later.
01-18-2011, 06:08 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Glaukas Quote
labai gražios nuotraukos, peizažas stulbinantis, taip ir norėtusi su šeima sėsti į baidares ir išplaukti į žygį.
Glaukas... anytime you visit Ontario, Canada let me know. You are welcome to come visit, find peace and solitude and take some lovely photos.

01-18-2011, 09:36 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I shared those tips, Tess, because, despite the technical problems in your shots, you show an instinctive talent for composition that some never learn. You're ahead of the game.
01-19-2011, 02:03 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
nice color enhancements on these!
01-19-2011, 02:27 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The purple fringing on the branches in the upper left of #2 (this page) is pronounced to the point of being distracting. Depending on what you're using for post processing, suggest carefully creating a layer on that area, sampling the magenta/blue color and desaturating it. I can't remember where I learned that, but it comes in handy.

Here's an example, cropped from the upper left corner and enlarged. I selected the very top left and desaturated it, leaving a good portion of the purple fringing to demonstrate the effect. you can see it along the edge of the tree trunk and in the branches in the center.

01-20-2011, 04:17 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have been away so just getting to this now. Thanks so much everyone for your input. I love that we can workshop our photos here.

Thanks grainbelt, I will look into what I did there to make that fringe happen... I have been doing a lot of playing around, learning what the tools do. I am very interested to try and fix that area. Thanks!!
01-21-2011, 12:47 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I could not fix the offending branches so opted to remove them using aperture 3 and then I cropped the image a bit more.

Does it look okay???

thanks for all the tips and prompts on these images

Last edited by tessfully; 01-21-2011 at 12:55 PM.
01-21-2011, 02:55 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Some think fringing is a product of a sensor, but it a product of lenses. Nearly all of them will show some fringing when tree limbs are against a flat sky or when backlighting is used. You're not using a Limited lens, so you're going to have more fringing. Just keep this in mind and compose shots so they don't include these elements. Shoot to your equipment's strong points, while avoiding their weaknesses.