Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2011, 11:04 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
distant sailboat
Lens: 18-55wr Camera: k-7 Photo Location: pleasure point ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/3000s Aperture: F8 

I'm a PP novice. I kinda like this photo and feel like it could be really neat. Cheesy, yes, but I happen to like cheese. The first is the original. The second one is what I did real quick, cropped and some other thing. I'm curious to hear what others would do with this. Thanks, guys!

01-16-2011, 11:45 PM   #2
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
I'm a PP novice. I kinda like this photo and feel like it could be really neat. Cheesy, yes, but I happen to like cheese. The first is the original. The second one is what I did real quick, cropped and some other thing. I'm curious to hear what others would do with this. Thanks, guys!
Other PP aside, I'd change the crop ratio a bit - it doesn't need to stay the same as out-of-camera, really...
Especially if you're not printing it.

The second pic is closer to what I'd do - but I'd leave the whole left side as is, crop out almost all of the dark forground rocks, leaving just those two little ones. Set the watcher around the 1/3 mark.
01-17-2011, 02:31 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not my thing. I'd discard it!
01-17-2011, 03:22 AM   #4
juu
Veteran Member

Composition wise, with a 16:9 aspect ratio (cropping off bottom and top), the second one could work. However, I don't think there is enough right going on with the picture and the main thing that works is the young female doing the watching.

The sailboat is too foggy and far and small and overpowered by the reflections. The reflections are way too strong. The black rocks in the bottom right are kinda lumpy. In the very center I almost see another sail very weakly visible which almost seems like dirt on the sensor. And above it, there definitely is a dirt spot, cloned out easily though.

Not quite sure what I think of the birds.

Suggestions wise - shoot later, move backwards and increase focal length.

01-17-2011, 03:25 AM   #5
Inactive Account

just a quick PP of what i would probably do to it, sorry i rushed it because i have to go but you get the general jist

hope you dont mind!

01-17-2011, 05:13 AM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

The central subject matter here is very small in the frame. This is a major limitation to the image. The other elements to the scene appear to be too insignificant to make any difference to the photo. There isn't much to see otherwise, and the silhouetted effect isn't working due to a lack of interesting form in the scene.

Consider what your subject matter is, get up close and find either complementary elements or a non-distracting background to go with the subject and see the difference this will make to your results.
01-17-2011, 01:09 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Cool, thanks all, especially MoeRoadKill and sgtkashim. Yeah, I realize it's pretty poor technically. It was just a snap I took while walking on the beach yesterday, but I thought maybe there was some PP thing that would save it. MoeRoadKill, I like the colors and cropping, though I keep wondering if there's any way to save the boat? If you have the time, I'd love to hear about what you did. Sometimes it seems like the more time I spend PP'ing a photo, the worse it gets!
01-17-2011, 02:48 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A longer focal length lens would have provided a larger size for both your subjects and compressed the relative distance between the two. I would then mess around with framing. Perhaps a square crop would look better for this image. I would definitely keep the shimmer, though, just tone it down with an ND filter in software.

01-17-2011, 06:39 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
Cool, thanks all, especially MoeRoadKill and sgtkashim. Yeah, I realize it's pretty poor technically. It was just a snap I took while walking on the beach yesterday, but I thought maybe there was some PP thing that would save it. MoeRoadKill, I like the colors and cropping, though I keep wondering if there's any way to save the boat? If you have the time, I'd love to hear about what you did. Sometimes it seems like the more time I spend PP'ing a photo, the worse it gets!
is there anyway i can get my hands on the RAW file? that would help out a lot

i dont know how advanced you are with Photoshop or other editing programs but you never want to over do it, at least for me.
01-19-2011, 06:57 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
is there anyway i can get my hands on the RAW file? that would help out a lot
yes! soon as I figure out how to do that..... hopefully tonight.