Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2011, 07:18 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Broken back barn.
Lens: 18-55 kit lens Camera: K2000 Photo Location: NW Montana ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F11 

Took this picture and was kind of let down when I got it loaded on the computer to take a look at it. I have tried a number of post-processing steps, none of which I was happy with.

It just seems that a building in this shape has a story to tell.....

Only PP included here is white balance adjustment and 100% crop (to remove the road at bottom right).

I am doing a lot of learning -- but this picture just leaves me not knowing where to go, is it poor composition, overcast sky, bright white snow, combination of things?????

Any suggestions greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

01-18-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Try converting this one to BW.
Comp is good. When you find an interesting subject, walk around to get different angles, get low, climb high, etc.
01-18-2011, 08:20 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Kruger Quote
Try converting this one to BW.
Comp is good. When you find an interesting subject, walk around to get different angles, get low, climb high, etc.
Gave the B&W angle a try, added some film grain for effect. So far so good, thanks for the input. Unfortunately, there are a number of no trespassing signs along that fence-line. Was limited to shooting from the road and took about a dozen compositions -- I felt this was the best of what I got.

01-18-2011, 08:28 PM   #4
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that it would have been a bit better if you had moved back or widening the zoom to get more of the treetops and sky. And try in a bit different light that would give some dept to the drooping roof.

01-18-2011, 09:36 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
I think that it would have been a bit better if you had moved back or widening the zoom to get more of the treetops and sky. And try in a bit different light that would give some dept to the drooping roof.
Thanks for the input, that barn is not too far from the house. Weather permitting I'll have to go give it another try.
01-18-2011, 10:30 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the lighting and the overall photo, the main subject is the barn and you nailed it. the broken fence adds to the photo, the only thing I would do is to clone out the home on the left. Thanks for the view. Bob
01-18-2011, 10:37 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

PP is what this image needs.
It's decently composed and is of some interest.
There needs to be both texture and contrast, as well as a fix of the colour balance.
My suggestion is to tone down the magenta tint, cool down the temperature a little, increase exposure +/- brightness to render the whites more brilliantly, then adjust the levels, boost contrast (curves if you have it) and run a pass of sharpening and see how it comes out.

01-19-2011, 02:35 AM   #8
Inactive Account

BBB

Here is a quick attempt at what the Doc prescribed. Hope you don't mind. Subject to another check-up, of course.
Attached Images

01-19-2011, 07:13 AM   #9

Original Poster
Many thanks for the suggestions and examples. Will attempt some changes later tonight and what I come up with. I did notice this morning that I need to do something with the laptop screen -- I didn't notice the strong magenta tint until I looked at the images here on the desktop computer.

Thanks again,
Stan
01-19-2011, 10:29 AM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Stan Quote
Took this picture and was kind of let down when I got it loaded on the computer to take a look at it. I have tried a number of post-processing steps, none of which I was happy with.

It just seems that a building in this shape has a story to tell.....

Only PP included here is white balance adjustment and 100% crop (to remove the road at bottom right).

I am doing a lot of learning -- but this picture just leaves me not knowing where to go, is it poor composition, overcast sky, bright white snow, combination of things?????

Any suggestions greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Maybe, maybe not.
Attached Images

01-19-2011, 12:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No EXIF on the image, but think about what focal length to use with your kit lens. Getting closer and shooting wider will have a different look than standing on the road and zooming in. It currently has a bit of a look like you were driving by, rolled down the window, and took a shot.

I'd try to get in there lower and wider, move the barn further left in the frame and shoot up a bit higher to get the treetops in. Shooting from a perspective most people don't view a barn (like, gopher height) can make an image more interesting. Just keep in mind the kit lens has some distortion below 24mm that you'll want to avoid or plan to fix afterward.

This is the kind of place you could go and shoot 100 images that all look different. If it is close by, that is probably a great idea.
01-19-2011, 01:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i like the BW version.

If you can go back out:
1. get lower to the ground - so the snow leads to the barn
2. use a wider angle like 18mm
3. get closer - to make up for the wider angle.

then post it. i think it will be more dramatic.
01-19-2011, 02:11 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Try asking the owner of the property if you can walk on and shoot his barn, I haven't met anyone who has denied me access to something visible from a road.

His no tresspassing signs are probably more for kids and hunters than photographers :P

(Also your first shot looks a little underexposed, the snow is probably throwing off your cameras ability to meter the scene, try manually exposing or spot metering on the face of the barn)

Last edited by RXrenesis8; 01-24-2011 at 07:30 PM.
01-19-2011, 05:21 PM   #14

Original Poster
Taking all the above comments and examples into account, this is what I have come up with. Better than the original -- but I agree with those that mention going back and reshooting this scene.

Thanks again for the help, the learning curve was implemented nicely.

01-20-2011, 07:46 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Bracket your shots for exposure so the snow will not be grey. Normally exposure has to be +2 or 3 stops for snow.
« agapanthus | none »