Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2011, 05:53 AM   #1
Inactive Account

[langtitle=no]Need help to improve myself[/langtitle]
Photo Location: Solbergelva, Norway 

Hi, here are some of the first photos I took with my very fisrt dslr. These are the only photos that I was satisfied with. However, I would like some input about whats bad (and good) about them, so I could improve myself. esp. looking for comment about the composition.

I've taken these photos in auto mode because at that time I was not fully familiar with exposing correctly, but I think I'm getting a better hang of it now. Regardless, I think I need more help with my compositional skills, because I don't think I have improven at all in this area since I first started photographing. Thanks in advance

Photo #1 (1/250, f/16, ISO800)

Photo #2: (1/250, f/5.6, ISO800)

Photo #3: (1/3200s, f/11.0, ISO800)

01-21-2011, 08:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello and welcome

• I like this photo and the composition is not bad
  • The biggest problem for me is that the road and the green landscape are competing elements and not entirely complementary
  • The road leads the eye off to the background right, which does not help what I feel should be the main subject - the landscape to the left
  • The trees form a nice frame
  • I like the detail in the trees and the sky
  • You could try bringing down the exposure just in the sky - this may produce a more dramatic effect. This can be achieved by using the "graduated ND filter" effect in Adobe Lightroom.

Good job and keep shooting!
01-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Then again, if one were wanting to use #1 as a comment on how man affects the landscape, then I can see the road being vital to the image. I like the treatment on #2. The kids are having fun. #3 has the building on the right to anchor that side of the frame, although it seems to be on a bit of a slant. Perhaps this was the way it was. If not, it can be easily straightened in post. Generally, your compositions are solid. For a beginner, you are doing fine.
01-21-2011, 02:29 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

#1 is cluttered by foliage that gets in the way of an important subject (the curving road) and adds nothing to the left side of the frame.
An important principle to bear in mind that the most effective images have a bold subject and a non-obtrusive complementary background, and nothing else.

01-21-2011, 03:08 PM   #5
Inactive Account

IMO, # 1 acknowledges the scenic landscape view from the road. Everything depends on the purpose intended: to make a decent record; to please the most critical; to enter a competition; to sell etc. Composition depends so much on opportunity. You are doing well.
01-22-2011, 04:03 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks, for all the useful comments. Really appreciate it I have been reading this forum since I got my camera, and I must say it' been very helpful for me. Thanks